Friday 9 September 2011

Routers - routers


I've used Linksys home routers for more than a decade and this is by far the best one yet in every respect. I didn't bother with their fancy new guided configuration software as I'm an experienced user. (I do suspect that inexperienced users might be almost as intimidated by the nifty new setup software, which transports the desired configuration to each new computer via a thumb drive, as they were by the older setup procedure; but that's another story). But I swear that the manual configuration took no longer than getting the shrink wrap off the outer box and undoing the twisty-ties -- reset the admin password, give the SSID a name, select security type, and set a network password. That's it -- all other factory pre-sets are exactly what you need and would expect. Total time for manual setup once the shrink wrap was off -- perhaps 3 minutes at most, and most of that spent crawling under the desk to plug it in. As I used the same SSID and network password as the old Linksys box I was replacing, all the machines actually rejoined the new network and router by themselves (and switched from G to N protocol) as soon as I entered the network password into the router control panel, with no prompting. And finally, the new packaging, even though it shouldn't really matter that much, is nothing short of breathtaking. If you're used to staring at the funny blue box on 4 legs with the two ear antennae, suddenly you enter the 21st century with this new box -- everyone familiar with Linksys products wants to touch it as if it's fine jewlery! It must be only 20% of the volume of the old box. A real triumph of industrial design, quite aside from the hardware and software. Linksys E1200 Wireless-N Router

As a certified 'senior' who's never dealt with a router before, I had absolutely no trouble setting up and getting connected. My 6 year old desktop is not wireless. My goal was to get a new laptop up and running via the router. By simply inserting the CD, I followed the instructions with no difficulty at all. I used a Memory Stick with data already stored on it, to then connect to my laptop. In less than 15 minutes both computers were up and running. The laptop is much faster than my desktop so I'm thrilled with that! (I live in a two story home and have had no connectivity problems from anywhere within the home; I haven't tried taking the laptop outdoors, but I doubt I ever will!)



Hopefully, my satisfaction is not short-lived and the router will give me a few good years.

I ordered this router after reading reviews of tons of other wireless routers available on amazon, and it works perfectly - it is easy to setup (no troubles at all whatsoever), no blinking lights on the front of the router, very lightweighted and compact. Couldnt have asked for a better router for someone who is not tech-savy and for someone who just wants a simple router that works as specified and as per its 5 star reviews!

First let me say it was very easy setup which is very important to me. I live in a long ranch so my expectation was that this would get a signal from one end to the other. The router is in the den and the living room in the middle and the bedrooms at the far end of the house down a hallway. Just as you walk down the hallway the signal is lost. Having two kids that will need a wireless signal soon this won't work.



I am returning it for a refund and going with the dual band e2500 in hopes that it will solve my problems. My work setup is in the den therefore I do not want to move the router and modem to a central location. Also the router is elevated and out in the open so that is not the issue.

I just set up this router and am very pleased with it. The setup process couldn't be easier and the total time was under 15 minutes to get a full wireless connection. I previously had a Netgear router that was just an endless headache with dropped connections and poor reliability. I can't speak for the reliability of this router yet but so far so good. Definitely recommend.

I just purchased one of these new Lynksys wireless routers and I find myself entirely satisfied. The installation was as easy as dropping in the inclded disk and then following the four or five steps of pluging everything together. It took me less than five minutes to have my wireless network up and running. The range of the router easily covers my whole house, including the back deck.

I don't even know where to start... it's basically a poorly designed router! Every time you change a setting you start praying for this to come back.. most of the time you have to reset it to the defaults and start from the beginning. Try changing the routers name after the initial setup.. it immediately quits working and you are back to the hard reset. Try changing the security mode after the initial setup.... it quits.. well you get the picture. I would stay away - avoid! The good part is that once it's setup the internet works well with very good range. I might return and get the 10 year old Cisco-Linksys WRT54GL with Tomato firmware... way easier to setup and operate. I am afraid of touching this crappy "router", god knows what it takes to add a printer to this - Another 3 hours waisted. - Routers'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information