Saturday 10 September 2011

Sony Replacement Battery


I purchased this battery for my Sony DSC-SX63 flash camcorder, as a 2nd battery for longer filming. The thing that I like about Sony batteries is that they show an approximate time of battery left. The time showing left is not exact, unless you do not zoom or use other features while filming. This one lasts about "an hour" longer than the battery that it came with.



I just used it yesterday to film at a zoo. We were at the zoo for about 4 hours. I took about 1 hour of video, and there was about "30 minutes" left on the battery from a full recharge. The zooming, which is mechanical, is what really wears on this battery. If I had used the LCD light, it may have drained a little faster as well.



Overall, it really helps to have a 2nd battery, especially one that lasts longer than the default one. So I recommend getting this battery for your "V" type Sony device. Sony NPFV50 Rechargeable Battery Pack (Black) (Retail Packaging)

Just FYI. Beware of fake imitation Sony batteries. There are a lot out there and their cheap price will really draw you into buying it. I recently got a fake one (NP-FV100). Although it's in a Retail Package like how they advertised it (but they don't say OEM or original or genuine), you will notice some difference from the original battery. The battery lasted long time for each charge though, so it still works, but I think once in a while, somebody will get a bad defective one like the one person that said the plastic cover was held to the circuit board by a double-side tape (Sony or any major brand will not do that).



Here are the differences I noticed:



- There are slight imperfections on how the plastic was molded into shape especially at the bottom area like the corners where you connect the battery to the camcorder.

- My original battery has an imprint of some numbers at the bottom. The fake battery does not have it.

- The cut of the infoLITHIUM sticker on top is not as exact as in the original battery.

- Some of the retail package is not the sealed type. You can slide the back paper in and out.

- The print or the graphics on the retail package is not as clear as the original or is a little blurry.

- And of course, high chance that Sony will say it's fake and no warranty on it.



This is just for information purposes. Know what you are buying. The battery I got that I am assuming is fake or imitation still worked.

Bought this for use with the Sony Flash Camcorder that was purchased at the same time. Was the perfect addition to have providing enough backup power during the whole day. Extra power for picture taking on trips and special events. Would recommend purchase of this item.

I purchased this battery for use with a SONY Camcorder HDR-CX700V. The charging light on the camcorder was flashing when I tried to charge the battery. The SONY NPFV50 that originally came with the camera was charging normally as was the SONY NPFV100 that I purchased subsequently.



The battery did appear to be charging but when I operated the camcorder with it, the display indicated "use only original batteries" and shutdown after about thirty seconds.



I did notice that this battery appeared to be marked differently than the other two batteries. The circular recycle emblem with the 800 number was missing, the engagement slots were square instead of rounded and the serial number was in the middle of the label instead of the bottom right-hand corner. The "ActiFORCE" label on the front of the battery was shiny and looked as though it had been added afterwards.



I spent several hours on the phone with SONY Customer Support. They did not recognize the markings on the battery label or the serial number. The implication was that this was a counterfeit battery.



I emailed images of all the batteries to the Amazon Vendor who kindly offered to replace the battery or give me a refund. I opted for the refund which was provided promptly.



I still need the battery so I am ordering a replacement though another Amazon Vendor. I hope this one will be the real thing.

This battery was shipped very fast. I ordered this battery on May 20th with 3-5 day shipping and got it the next day..It came in the original Sony packaging so hopefully it's not a fake..It's a good spare battery to have around just in case..

I ordered this particular battery as a backup for a DSC-HX1 camera, as Sony's 800-number sales person suggested this was, indeed, the replacement for the original battery..."with 15% more capacity." Apparently that extra 15% makes it just a tad too big for the battery slot in the camera. I returned this to amazon (very nice process, I must say) and ordered the correct battery.



The battery is probably fine for a camcorder, since it doesn't fit into a specific slot, just hangs on the back of the unit.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information