Sunday 18 September 2011

Surf Fishing - okuma, rod


The TU-150 is 15' long. It is 3 pieces. I own 2 and bought my 3rd on 11/9/10 on Amazon.

The rod is phenomenal. I recommend you litely sand all connecting points for the joints so that the sections do not stick together because they will... after sanding rub surfer's "SEX WAX" for surf boards around the connecting joints (inside/outside as applicble). This rod casts about 30% further than my 12' surf rods and I use it in extreme surf with heavier weights OR when I just want to cast as far as any human being can cast a weight and a bait...no kidding.... I am able to cast 12 and 14 ounce weights with this rod in extreme conditions and I can cast an 8 ounce weight so far I have had other surf fishermen watch in awe. I fish for Stripers and Blues on Long Beach Island N.J. and this rod is great. Clean it after every use, treat it well and enjoy it.

Put a good reel on it, big reel recommended as this is a big rod. Nice tip action does not lie, tells you when a fish is messing with your bait. It takes a bit of muscle and skill to cast this beast and I love mine (all 3).....they make surf fishing even more fun !. Enjoy !.

-ARTIE STOUT Okuma Fishing TU-150 Tundra 15-Foot 3-Piece Surf/Pier Spinning Rod (Large, White/Blue)

Great rod perfect for fishing off the shore and the lightweight and durable for any type of fisherman. I've been fishing for 15 years and i've found

no problems with rod and for the price you can't go wrong

The ad said two piece but it is a three piece rod. I have another similar rod that also is three piece, not bad but wanted a two piece. Two problems with rod, the sections stuck together and I had a hard time getting them apart. Actually two did not come apart the second time I used it. Also it developed a small crack at the joint, about 1/8" long. It has a good feel when fishing with it and I liked the eye that lays down when transporting. I own a lot of Okuma equipment for surf fishing and this rod is the only item I am not thoroughly pleased with.

Pros:

It is long 15' and that gives better casting distance

The first guide has a large diameter so the line travels easily

Compared to other surf rods guide diameters are larger including the last guide which I believe adds more distance to the casting

Rod color white is better when fishing at night to detect bites without using bells or led light

Stronger rod blanks

Non slip thick rubber grips and their positioning is better for distance or power casting

The rod action is very good for distance casting



Cons:

Sections stick together extremely hard to remove

Guide materials tends to rust easily

Reel seat has a minor play to it further tightening will damage some rubber around it.

Pole is heavier and thick in diameter

Very short insert points in sections (probably cost minimization in manufacturing process) it is a major disadvantage on this rod

Short insertion points in sections may have made them fatter to make section joins stronger but sometimes totally impossible to remove sections



Rating:

4 stars



Experience:

My good experiences are tainted with bad experiences. I had virtually impossible to detach rod sections.

Drove few hours to get to the high tide in one of the best surfs ended up with rod sections stucked together with guides facing opposite directions.

Let alone that I could not even bring it back home as it not fit in the car without removing sections.

Word of warning when assembling do not press sections hard together it will create a vacuum (just like clapping with cupped hands). Make slowly and gently go in (bit hard though).



If sections stucked together then remove the reel completely and hold rod 70 degrees to the earth surface (10 o'clock facing west) from the bottom section then go shake the rod hard to loosen the joints.



If above did not work flatten out the rod on a table and lightly clamp the MALE section (WARNING do not clamp tight) use thick rugs on clamping area to avoid any damages to the rod paint work. Lightly make three taps around the edge of the joint in order to press the female section slide out use a very blunt object like a cold chisel (not a sharp object) and a light hammer.



Why I rate 4 is mainly due to reasonable prize and the action of the rod.

It's big!!!...but that's why you order it. For the price, I don't know how they can sell it for ~ $35. Surprisingly well made for an inexpensive 15' surf rod. Casts a mile, but not for someone with a cardiac condition, as you will work. I have it paired with a 30 lb. test Daiwa 9000C and with some practice, it will sling it past the far break +. Recommend for someone looking to try distance surf casting.



I usually surf fish in close with a grub or Gulp; perch, corbina, croaker, halibut on a light spinning rig ~ 6-8 lb test, 7.5 ft. rod. With this 15 footer I cast out a piece of bait, put it in a holder and then use the fun light tackle for perch, etc., while I wait for something further out to hit this rig and ring the rod tip bell. In SoCal that usually means a small leopard shark or a ray. Fun

this is a great rod for surf fishing. action is perfect and the rod is strong. i took it to malibu for a little surf fishing and had no problems landing a leapord shark. ive got it paired with a okuma abf 90. i liked it so much i ordered a 12 footer with a abf 60.

This may or may not have been the seller. But there is a part of me that is pretty sure it was. The rod came to me in a box that had been taped together. At first I thought the post office did it, but the tape used to 'repair' the box was the same tape that was originally used for shipping. The pole arrived broken and two rings werent bent severely. Fortunately - Amazon took care of replacement relatively quickly. But I would definitely advise opening up your box from them IMMEDIATELY to see if it's in good shape. The pole is definitely killer for the price. It's not the best pole I have, but for the money I wouldn't be able to get better. - Fishing Rod - Okuma - Rod'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information