Monday 5 September 2011

Swiss Army Watch - swiss army, swiss army watch


This is a great watch for the outdoors person, or it is good for weekend wear. It will look a little out of place with a suit or sport jacket/blazer.



I bought mine in 1994/1995 and it's only needed a few battery replacements. Victorinox Swiss Army Men's Renegade Watch #24228

The Renegade is a nice little entry-level watch from Victorinox. I wanted a simple, inexpensive watch with a PVC band...something other than a sports watch where I could sweat in the Dallas summer heat and not worry about the band getting crusty. The Renegade fits the bill nicely.



Note that the customer-provided photos on this page are a bit misleading in terms of the watch's size. [Miko, I thought I had small wrists!] The Renegade's smaller profile (39mm diameter including the winder) is a better choice for me and my small wrists than these spaceships that pass for men's watches these days. [Seriously, what is up with that? Guys are wearing satellite dishes on their wrists.]

Owned for about 15 months, 4 of which were spent in repair. Never dropped this watch, always took care of it. Wore it for 3 months when communting on my bike to work and class and needed a dependable timepiece to manage my active schedule. This watch mysteriously stopped and started again unpredictably and unnoticably several times per day. I was constantly resetting the watch and running late to boot. I sent it back for a repair and the movement was replaced for free, but I had to buy a Timex in the interim and waited 4 months until it was returned. Wore the watch for 8 more months during which the lumibrite material denoting the markers and numbers started to flake off and bounce around atop the watch face. At the 15th month, the start/stop problem with the movement returned...unexpectedly of course. I decided it wasn't worth the trouble as the 1-yr warranty had expired. Wish I had my money back.

I have had this watch for about 10 years now and was just checking around to see if it is still made, and to my surprise it still is, which is good. I have worn this watch to work almost everyday on from when I got to about 2006. I stopped wearing it because my cell phone has a clock and was using that. My wife took over the watch and started wearing it to work. Her job involved putting her hands in water and chicken fat daily throughout the day. I thought well that's it for my Swiss Army watch. Needless to say about 6 months ago I took on a job where I needed a wrist watch. I found my old watch, the leather band I had put on it was destroyed and the watch was not working. I brought to my local watch guy and told him to replace the battery. At first with the new battery nothing happened, watch didn't work. I told him, the contacts are probably dirty, the watch has been through hell. He took the battery out cleaned the contacts and put the battery back in. Voila, the watch is keeping perfect time! While I was there I purchased a new band and he cleaned the watch up for me with whatever they use. With the new band and the cleanup, the watch looks brand new again. He only charged for the battery, $5, and a new black leather band, $18. You cannot kill this watch. If this one every really broke, I would not hesitate to buy another in a heartbeat.

I've had my Victorinox Swiss Army Renegade watch since 1999 or 2000. Mine originally had a nylon strap, but it is essentially the same watch. it's been great over the years and I still include it in my watch rotation. Other than a single band replacement, and some new batteries, it has been a flawless, trusty companion. The design is timeless, and it's not a hefty as some newer watches, but that's part of its charm. The case is a tough back plastic; mine has developed some "personality" over the years, yet still looks great. This is a great choice if you're looking for an affordable Swiss-made timepiece. - Sport Watch - Swiss Army Watch - Swiss Army - Victorinox'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information