Tuesday 27 September 2011

Thirsties - swim diaper, thirsties


Bought this Bummis swim diaper along with trying the Flap Happy and iPlay brands (wrote rviews for those as well).

-Pros for the Bummis reusable diaper: Very cute styles, very easy to get on & off due to the velcro (works more like putting on a diaper versus pulling up swim diapers on a wiggling 1-year old). The pool center where my son takes swim class requires BOTH a disposable little-swimmers like diaper and a reusable or swim short over top (so much for being green). This diaper works especially well over a disposable. Also, they seem very true to size. Bought the large for my 1-year old ~23lbs and it fits him but with plenty of room to grow (and over a disposable).

-Cons: No absorbant layer or padding inside, just a mesh lining. The iPlay swim diap is much better in terms of leak-proofing. Also, since the legs and waist aren't elastic if, god forbid, there's a #2 situation I wouldn't trust this diaper to hold anything in. I won't be using this swim diap on its own in our community pool, but I will use the iPlay brand solo.

-Toss-up: The velcro sides make for easy on/off but can cause snags and collects fuzzies when put into the dryer with our pool towels.

Four stars for using over a disposable for those of us who have to. Would rate lower if worn solo. Bummis Swimmi Cloth Diapers, Turtles, Medium (15-22 lbs)

We bought a couple of these for our two weeks in Maui for our 4 month old twins, 12 and 15 pounds - girl/boy. The colors/patterns were very unisex and looked super cute on both of them with their blue and hot pink rash shirts. My dad was super paranoid about the babies in the pool because the week before (they live there) someone's grandkids contaminated the pool and they had to shut down and he didn't want to be "that guy." Despite his paranoia we swam swam swam and the diapers seemed a snug but comfortable fit and I felt good that poo wouldn't escape. I will warn you that they are not water tight so urine goes right thru - fine for pool and beach not for in the condo on the couch when you are trying to get second baby dressed and sun-screened for pool. I think the only swim dipes with absorption are the disposable but even those are not the best and you have to take them off right out of the water and replace because they are swishy soaked. These you can leave on and let the child dry in the air or take off and put on lounge chair or umbrella where they dried very rapidly. Great for my little ones probably super good for older baby / toddler that pees less often - mine are still like puppies - just letting lose at every cool breeze.

This product works well. It is just as effective as the little dipper swim diapers that you can buy that are disposable. The best part is that you can use it over & over. Bear in mind what they are used for. If you arent comfortable with cleaning something up that has poo in it then maybe these arent for you. They fit well but when I ordered them I was concerned that a large may be too big. Unfortunately my son has already outgrown them. I guess it is hard to tell when you are ordering a product like this online. He is not quite 2 years old and of average size. There have been some floaters that have escaped while in the pool but no worse than any other product. Somehow its ok if my son makes #2 in the pool. Anyway I think you would be hard pressed to find anything that is completely effective at preventing escapage until you have a kid that is potty trained. As gross as it is there really aren't any alternatives.

I purchased the Large Swimmi (22-30lbs) because my 16 month old just reached the 22lbs pound range. I returned it to purchase the same in Medium (15-22lbs) because my son is built very thin and has no tush. The Medium fits well and I think it will still accommodate him for awhile. Even if it doesn't and I have to re-purchase the Large, it is still cheaper than having to buy a pack of disposable swim diapers.

This diaper was what I expected. It is very cute and comfortable for him, easy to put on/take off for me. I bought it because I was spending a fortune on disposables. My son wore this in the water and I changed him as soon as he got out because they definitely do not hold pee. Luckily he has not made a shidoobie in it yet so I haven't had to deal with that. Overall a nice product.

Love this swim diaper. We use cloth diapers normally, so did not want to use disposable swim diapers. Our daughter goes to swim class at the Y so is swimming all year round. In the previous size, I bought the only reusable swim diaper available locally but it pulled on and off like underwear. It contained the accidents fine, but my husband really didn't like trying to change her after, which could get messy. So, I ordered this one because it velcros like a diaper to make changing messy diapers easier. She has not actually stooled in this diaper since we got it, so I can't be certain how well it would work for it's intended purpose. However, it does fit well and seems comfortable for her. It is also very cute. It does not hold urine, but no swim diaper (even the disposable) does. - Swim Diaper - Pool Diaper - Diaper - Thirsties'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information