Thursday 15 September 2011

This Tv Is Not 240 Hz - passive 3d


Install:

Just received the TV yesterday via freight shipping. Package was in great shape and the delivery men wanted me to open the box and test the TV before they left. This set is absolutely stunning even when it is off! The great news is that it's even more amazing on. It is fairly thin at less than 1" and is a claimed 93lbs without the stand. It seemed alot heavier, but it may just be the sheer size of the TV that makes the weight awkward to handle. I mounted it with a super slim Sanus mount with the help of another person, of course, I'm no hulk! I did not have an inset electrical outlet, so I had to buy one of those flat three prong extension cords in order to be able to get the TV close enough to the wall to snap in the bottom. Since I mounted it above my fireplace mantle I got a tilting mount so that I could tilt the set downward since it sits about 5.5' above the ground.

Features:

I was most excited about the Cinema 3D so I will start there:

-uses the same cheap glasses as in the theaters, which is great.

-they are light weight and no worries if a kid breaks them, plus we have a collection of smaller glasses the kids get when going to see a 3D flick.

-The 3D quality is bright, very dimensional, and does not give me a migraine like the active shutter sets do. There is no flickering and dimming.

-True 3D content from the HD satellite Receiver or blu-ray is just gorgeous. better than the theaters as the screen is brighter.

-2D to 3D actually works and adds dimension to almost any show you're watching. It's fun to play with.

-My overall opinion is that Cinema 3D is the new standard until we can all go sans glasses some day



2D HD quality:

I am no videophile, but the pure 2D HD quality is fantastic, and amazing considering this set is 65".

Colors are vibrant, blacks are deep, overall i am very pleased.



Apps and Magic remote:

-the Magic remote is very much like a Wii remote and really makes using the apps, web browser and other features a breeze. you can also download the LG TV remote for your ios device and control the TV that way, worked really well.

-There are the standard set of apps including netflix as well as other freebies and ones you can buy. There is 256mb of built in storage, but with a limited amount of apps, and most coming in under 5mb, storage space won't be an issue, and you may be able to harness an extra USB stick, but I am not 100% sure.



Wireless adaptor:

I could not get the included wireless adapter to work with my d-Link wireless router, so I had to pull out my old trusty Linksys G router and the LG adapter recognized it right away. I tried many security options, and wireless speeds to no avail on the d-link, which works with every other device in my house, PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, Vizio TV, etc...



Conclusion:

For around $3000 I don't think you'll find a more desirable and feature rich set out there. LG Infinia 65LW6500 65-Inch Cinema 3D 1080p 120 Hz LED HDTV with Smart TV (Included: Four Pairs of 3D Glasses)

So, I have the 65lw6500 I got from here. Delivered no problem in one week. It replaced an LG 55LH90.

Here are my thoughts after a few days with it in no particular order. By the way, a little background on me....used to be REALLY into home theater, then I got married, so now I just enjoy it. I'm happy with the 80% solution. I have excellent vision and don't get motion sick or anything else like that. I do not like active shutter at all. It just irritates me, and the dimming and flickering I see when I move my head is a total deal breaker. YMMV



Anyway:



-it's freaking heavy. Also, it just seems huge compared to my 55". FYI, I sit about 10 feet.



-2d is very good. Surprisingly even good on SD content from Dish Network and older stuff on Netflix. Completely watchable.



- 3d is fantastic. Tangled is WOW! Of course, good source material makes a world of difference. Green Hornet added nothing in 3d, whereas Tangled was actually a more enjoyable movie in 3d. It was like a different film. I haven't seen any 3d issues.



-there is some flash lighting from the corners. I can tell a difference in blacks from my LH90 that had full local dimming backlight. (this does NOT have local dimming, unlike the 55 and 47 model 6500 listed in the table above. It's slightly annoying to me, but my wife doesn't even notice...also, I didn't point it out to her. Some things you just can't unsee. It improved as I adjusted the settings. The picture wizard is quite good.



-the edge lighting is more viewable as you move to the opposite side. For example, if I sit left of center, the right side of the screen becomes "less black" because of that side's edge light. Vice versa



- the magic remote is pretty nice, but not totally necessary..I wouldn't spend extra if it wasn't already included. There's not really any better way to explain it than comparing it to a Wii Remote. it also comes with another remote that has more buttons. Neither is what I would call a universal remote.



-the built in apps are cool. If you have a receiver with ARC, it's great to just click on Netflix, vudu, whatever and have the receiver switch over. The apps also work well. There are maybe 20apps or so? Netflix, Hulu, Amazon on demand (yes, watch the free stuff if you have Prime shipping), Pandora, Facebook, and some other ones that I don't recall.



-PS3 and Xbox 360 with kinect work just fine through my Onkyo r360 receiver. PS3 played Tangled blu ray with zero issues. I even put Ratchet and Clank in 3d conversion mode and it was pretty cool.



-speaking of, the 2d to 3d conversion is fun. It doesn't always work, but I'd say it's probably 85% right. I played Spongebob from Netflix and it got it mostly right, but there were times where his body, pants and legs were in the foreground, but his belt would be put in the background. Stuff like that. Generally, though, really cool.



In all, I like it. If you are the kind of person who NEEDS the blackest blacks, don't get it. But, passive 3d, large screen and 3d conversion sold me vs some other sets. - Passive 3d'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information