Saturday 24 September 2011

Up-converting - dvd player, 1080p dvd player


Warning! The description for the DVD-s58 model seems to be pasted from the DVD-s54 model (discontinued), which despite the lower model number is actually a notch or two above this one. I bought the s58 with the understanding it would play AVI (Divx) encoded discs... it DOES NOT support Divx.



For what it is--a basic upconverting DVD player--the Panasonic DVD-s58 performs well, but did not suit my original purpose in purchasing it. Panasonic DVD-S58 1080p Up-Converting DVD Player, Black

All in all I am very pleased with this unit. The main reason I got this one was because I had ordered a previous model Panasonic DVD player which has been superb, but is discontinued now. This one seemed like a logical successor and really, for DVD playback it's great. The upscaling looks nice (HDMI output too) and it fast to load and play and has given me no problems. My only disappointment is that it does not support DIVX (or any other VCD/Computer video formats that I can tell). I really wanted to be able to playback videos from my computer, home movies, stuff from friends, whatever. The first Panasonic unit I got plays pretty much anything I throw in it while this one is focused on factory DVDs. So, if you need a good, solid, long lasting DVD/Audio CD/MP3 player, this is the unit for you, especially for the price. If you are looking for something that supports a wide range of other codecs and formats, you will want to keep looking. Panasonic makes some that do that wonderfully, just not this one.

Being a strong electronics geek I must say that I really like this player. And honestly I do not understand the other reviews so far for it. When this upconverts it looks every bit as good as my Sony S 370 blu ray player and i can not tell any difference between regular dvds at 1080p and and blu ray at 1080p. How ever the sound on blu ray is a tad better but if your not picky or are budget minded this is a great player. The great thing about this one is that it is $70 less than a blu ray player. If you have a tv set that is 720p this is a wonder player you wont see any difference picture wise in my opinion.Great picture good sound good features wise my only other advice is if you want something with internet this does not have it.The remote is wonderful I am one of those that loves the open/close button on the remote which this has for $42 for a basic upconverison player it is a very good buy!!

The Panasonic S58 can have an very smooth, crisp picture--perhaps especially in component mode. In HDMI-upscaled mode, it is variable among units, sometimes rather cloudy and washed-out despite a lot of adjustments. Additionally, the engineering is full of little oddities.



[1] It doesn't hold its place even on a disc in the machine if you switch it off for a second; it will start from the beginning.



[2] The default for JPEGs is a fast slide show, each photo unfurling annoyingly (like Philips) rather than just appearing; keeping a photo from changing is possible but the instructions are very vague, so one has to experiment and remember how. If there happen to be mp3s on the disc, the S58 will randomly play them during the photos; there seems no way to stop it.



[3] The remote does not control any other device (not Viera compatible either, despite the PR); the buttons are tiny and closely spaced, making it hard to read or operate. It doesn't play formats like DivX, etc., despite being advertised.



[4] Hooking up both an interlaced source (e.g., HDMI 1080i) and a progressive one (e.g., 480p) results in the black level always reverting to "lighter," and dropouts in the sound. I can't figure out what these things have to do with each other, as it doesn't trouble other players. Hooking it up through both component and HDMI results is a slight vertical picture stretching in component mode, losing a bit on top and bottom. Sonys can be attached through both without change.



[5] The subtitles are engineered poorly (and I tried three players). They do not follow the instructions in the disc's encoding. In the set-up menu, you can turn them on or off, and it applies across the board, including subtitles for the hearing impaired. The remote must be used to defeat either choice on a disc by disc, or even track by track, basis.



All this is frustrating because the picture can be good--on the right unit. The player does play PAL discs, and can be made region-free without much trouble (though you need two Panasonic remotes).



I should mention that there's a firmware update--that doesn't correct any of the above issues, but other ones--that must be downloaded and installed from the Panasonic.com site.



Not recommended.

My Toshiba DVD/VCR combo finally crapped out after 5 years of solid use. Decided to buy an up-converting player since I finally bought a 1080p HDTV. Didn't want to go for Blu-Ray because I have a HUGE DVD collection. The up-converting feature with the use of an HDMI cable works BEAUTIFULLY on my TV. Films made in the 80s and 90s lose a lot of their "fuzzy" quality, which makes me really happy. My only complaint is the remote - some of the buttons are absolutely TINY. In the dark you easily press the wrong ones. Overall though, player works wonderfully, and for the price it's a STEAL! - 1080p Dvd Player - Hdmi - Dvd Player - Panasonic'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information