Tuesday 6 September 2011

Usb Flash Drives - 16gb, corsair


This drive is fast, not only on usb 3.0, but also on 2.0 and being limited by the bandwidth ceiling; it's about 4-5 times faster than any other 2.0 drive I own.

I realize this experience is due more to my cheap 2.0 drives performing nowhere even close to spec than this one being outstanding but it's still refreshing to be impressed by consumer grade storage drives in this day and age.



Great price, great performance, and 3.0 compatibility makes it future-proof to some extent. ADATA S102 16 GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive AS102-16G-RGY (Titanium Grey)

It's awesome.



Tested on various USB ports (both 2.0 and 3.0) No complaints. Fully backwards compatible. Also works in a 2.0 hub, just in case you wondered, yes I tried it to make sure.



But the 3.0 is just really outstanding.



Tested and verified via Nirsoft: My drive ran a 10.09 MB/Sec write, and a 54.41 MB/Sec read. Note, that's more than 4 times faster than a 100 Mb/s ETHERNET on the read side, and the same speed on the write. It's as fast or faster than most wired networks...



It's that good. And my 8GB was sub 20 bucks. How can you lose here folks? Just buy it. Seriously. It's worth it.



Tested on an ASRock X58 Extreme3 via onboard USB 3.0, i7-930.

it's backwards compatible to 2.0 so for the money, 8gb and 3.0 option, is a great find.

and it's a very solid exterior, feels like aluminum of some sort



tested in 3.0 port (with 6 core amd @ 3.2ghz, 4gb ram @ 1600mhz, windows 7 64bit)



multi-file test:

writing speed was appx. 90 seconds for 700 files @ 420MB in total..

reading is very fast. deleted all 700 files at about 30 files/second from the usb



single-file test:

140MB single file wrote to usb in under 6 seconds.

when i moved the file back to my pc hard drive it took less than a second.



so that is the basics of high file amount and singular speeds. much faster than 2.0! Well worth the money!!

If your are going to spend money on a high performance USB 2.0 Flash Drive.... DONT.This is my first USB 3.0 Flash Drive.



This cheep entry level flash drive will outperform any high performance USB 2.0 drive.

Can't wait to try this drive on a USB 3.0 Port



Pros

Vary fast

Nice texture to the brushed metal

Cheep



Cons/Other Thoughts

This drive gets a little warm when plugged in, I dont know if its the drive itself of maybe since the drive is in a metal enclosure it absorbs some of the heat from the laptop(My laptop gets hot when in use).

No activity indicator light on the drive.

The plastic end cap is not tight as I would like.





The speeds I have gotten on a USB 2.0 Port on a 1.6Ghz Pentium M Processor, 2GB of RAM with Windows XP Service Pack 3 is...



Sequential Read : 31.871 MB/s

Sequential Write : 20.468 MB/s

Random Read 512KB : 31.514 MB/s

Random Write 512KB : 0.567 MB/s

Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 5.968 MB/s

Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 0.004 MB/s

Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 6.529 MB/s

Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 0.005 MB/s



Vs

my old SanDisk Cruzer 8 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive

Sequential Read : 18.452 MB/s

Sequential Write : 4.519 MB/s

Random Read 512KB : 19.043 MB/s

Random Write 512KB : 0.582 MB/s

Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 3.591 MB/s

Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 1.489 MB/s

Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 3.564 MB/s

Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 0.091 MB/s

Bench by CrystalDiskMark v3.0.1

Achieved a max of 70MB/sec transfer when transferring a 7GB file.

On regular transfers which include files of various sizes (300MB-1GB), it averages 40MB/sec. Lowest I have seen was 20 MB/sec.



Feels nice and sturdy.

My plan was to provide a very data centric review of this product, providing exactly what my read and write speeds on different computers and with different types of files. The problem is, that no matter how scientifically I attempted to isolate the variables, I could not get the speeds to be consistent and repeatable. This is not a flaw of this drive, because the same thing happened when I repeated my tests with other similar drives. My point in bringing this up, is to say that it isn't a good idea to put too much credence in benchmark testing of thumb-drives. Your experiences will vary from what reviewers experience, because my own results varied from results I got half an hour earlier, doing the exact same test in the exact same conditions.



Anyway, despite my failure to get real test data for you, in this review, I will say that this drive is very very fast. The average write speeds to it, on a USB 3.0 port with a quad core computer, varied between 6.7 MB/s to as high as 40 MB/s. Most of the time they were in the mid 30s. The read speed on the same computer averaged around 70 MB/s.



On USB 2.0 this drive performs about identical any USB 2.0 drives from Kingston and Crucial.



I recommend this drive because the design, speed, and price. It is well made and considering it holds 32GB, is very compact. The reviewers who complain that there is no light are correct that there isn't, but I disagree that it matters. Windows or OS 10 both tell you when your drive is active or not. They are also correct that the cap would be easy to loose, but I would prefer that to a drive with moving components such as a retractable plug. There is a lanyard hole, but they do not provide the lanyard. I'm OK with that to. This drive is a very good value, despite not coming with a lanyard. - Flash Drive - Thumb Drive - Corsair - 16gb'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information