Sunday 11 September 2011

Utility Knife - folding knife, box cutter


Clip broke on the first day after no use of knife, just from being clipped to pocket while knife was on inside. I don't think this is a manufacturing flaw, but a design flaw. The clip is thin and narrow while the folded knife is relatively wide. The wide knife causes stress on the fold in the clip under very casual use when the knife is carried as described.



Overall a good knife, a clever concept, and great value. I recommend saving clip for use as a money clip only or maybe while using for external carry if you don't expect to brush against anything. Yours will likely break if carried in a pocket while clipped.



I'm debating living without the clip, doing an RMA, or just asking for a replacement clip or 3 from the manufacturer.



UPDATE: Gerber sent me 2 replacement clips when I informed them about my issue. It was easy to install. Gerber 31-000345 E.A.B. Lite Pocket Knife, Fine Edge

This is a great EDC "knife". I bought this knife for routine tasks I didn't want to expose my "good" knife to.



For a knife this small, it feels quite good and sturdy in the hand, much better than your father's utility knife. It is much thinner than your standard utility knife (though no less sturdy). This is a big plus and allows you to carry it in your pocket. The Gerber construction is first rate with first rate materials (stainless steel). You can hear the mechanism solidly lock on opening. There is absolutely no play (either side to side or up and down) once the blade is extended.



A liner lock keeps the blade in place until you are ready to fold it back down again. There is a nice finger guard that covers about 1/3 of the utility blade preventing any accidents.



The clip in the back is actually welded onto the knife (not a separate piece that is screwed on). I suppose this means it might snap off some day, but I doubt it. The clip is nice,tight, and extends all the way to the edge of the knife. Even if it does snap off, the weld is on the inside portion of the body, hidden from view.



The knife takes standard sized utility blades. By carrying a small pack of blades, your knife never goes dull! You can use both sides of the blade before discarding it. Changing the blade will require a slotted screwdriver, but this means the blade is truly securely fastened (pins will loosen over time). I will probably use Lennox blades, but Irwin is fine as well.



You can't beat this knife and the price makes it even better! I'm happy I made this purchase.

I use this knife every day at work, cutting and shaving drywall, opening boxes, cutting rope ect. It holds the blade really securely and its easy enough to change the blade, even though its not a quick release setup. Folded it is barely bigger than the blade it holds but when you use it it feels great in your hand, with good control and grip. The one little problem i have with it is that if the blade you replace the standard Gerber one with is a tiny bit bigger (like the Stanleys I use) the tip will stick out just a hair past the end of the knife when its folded. its not enough to really cut you but sometimes it will catch on something and open in my pocket or clipped onto me. Just use gerber blades or try other ones to see if they fit, and it shouldn't be an issue. other than that I love it, and it is a great alternative to the Superknife because it is much more compact without compromising much utility.

I recently started to work in a signage studio and picked this up as something to use for quick cuts on site.

Fully extended with a blade installed, the knife is 13cm or 5" long. Folded, it's 7cm or a shade under 3". The build quality is fantastic and there is no wobble or give once it is clicks into place extended. The body is quite slim, about 7mm and fits snugly into that tiny extra pocket on the right side of you jeans on in a thick belt loop. The clip is quite firm and seems very well secured onto the blade (I can only assume that the reviewer with the broken clip was unlucky with QC)



The knife is aesthetically pleasing and affords a very comfortable grip. a fine purchase that I would recommend to anyone looking for a well engineered multi-purpose folding knife.

I tried to like this knife, I really did. When the belt clip broke I almost tossed it but Gerber's wonderful support sent me a half-dozen replacement clips and so far it hasn't broken again - and never will because I'm not carrying it anymore. Why, because it opens way too easy. I noticed that you could flip it open with one hand right after I got it and I thought that was kind of nifty at the time. The problem is that it opens up in your pocket even when it's clipped one. I was working in the garden and reached for the knife and it sliced a nice piece off my pinky. So, it will go in my toolbox or somewhere but it won't be carried ever again.



The bottom line is that if you're considering this knife, skip it and get the Gerber EAB. It's only slightly heavier, has a much stronger clip and doesn't open up in your pocket.

The overall look and feel of this knife is small and sleak for my big hands. I thought it had a quick release for changing blades but, it doesn't. I would have to carry a small screwdriver with me to change the blade. I was dissappointed with this knife overall.

With my job, I use a utility knife dozens of times every day. We were provided the big, old school Stanley knives, but they're way too big to keep in your pocket comfortably. I wanted something small, that folded and locked into place. After seeing some of my co-workers locking blades and how their locking mechanisms gummed up, I went with this blade.



The blade is simple to use. You open it, and the locking tab pops up, keeping the blade securely in place. At first I thought it might be a little flimsy, but it has held up to all the paces I've put it through. The blade locks firmly, and doesn't move at all. It's small, easily fits in your hand and pocket, and the the curve of the handle and the finger guard make it comfortable to use.



I have only two issues with this knife. First, the clip is flimsy. Mine broke within the first day of use. I thought it might be nice to use as a money clip, but with as much as I use this knife, that would be more of a hassle, so losing the clip wasn't too big of a deal. Still a little disappointing, though. Second, the blade is held in the knife using only a tiny little screw. I've come across some blades that are a fraction of an inch too big, and you're unable to get the screw into place. It's also quite easy to lose the screw (I've dropped it on numerous occasions replacimg the blade). Luckily, Gerber's customer service has been very helpful and replaced the screw. - Knife - Gerber - Box Cutter - Folding Knife'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information