Tuesday 13 September 2011

Vehicle Mounts


I bought this because our previous window mount lost its suction and kept falling off the window. I never liked having the GPS mounted where would be theives could easily see I had it while driving around. Although it minimally obstructed any view out of my window it was a bit of a distraction sometimes so having this enables me to mount it out of view or obstruction yet easily accessible for me or my passenger.



My only complaint is the adjustable rod is pretty tough to bend. Im sure this is so the GPS' weight doesnt wear out the rod but a little more ease of adjustment would be nice. Other than that the things works perfect. Arkon Gn033-G Cup Holder Mount For Garmin Nuvi

I used this in a fixed-diameter, molded drink holder and it works well. It works reasonably well in an adjustable drink holder but it is not as secure. There is some shake when the car is going over bumps but it is not a big deal. The connection between the neck and the base is a friction fit and I don't have great confidence that it will remain tight. However, it should be easy enough fix if it becomes loose.

I was wary of the standard screen-suction mount since 1) there is the risk of adhesion loss, 2) it leaves a tell-tale round mark on the glass for thieves and 3) glare/reflections hinder clarity in sunny Florida. The dash-friction mount option bears the disadvantage of damage in the event of a sudden stop or accident, as well as the glare problem. So, after some research, I opted for a cup-holder mount. The advantages are 1) easy to reach, 2) less chance of glare and 3) can be removed without trace to prying eyes. I did note that an emergency stop can still dislodge the holder unless the adjustable spacer is placed in the fore-aft orientation and firmly jammed in. However, I am overall satisfied and hope it can last.

I bought this because I have a center console cup holder. What a great idea this product is. I can set my GPS near me, yet not block my view out of my windshield. Great price, too.



I tried a similar product, Ram Mounting Systems Ram Can, but it costs twice as much, you have to buy a separate bracket for your GPS and it didn't fit into my cup holder.



This Arkon works perfectly!'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information