Friday 2 September 2011

Weight Watchers - weighing scale, digital


Nice scale, accurate and good quality. I was impressed with the weight and construction of the scale. The lid is also a tray for larger items and protects the buttons and scale surface when not in use. I will buy a 500 gm calibration weight at a later time, but it does not seem to need it since I have been using American coins to check the accuracy of the scale from time to time. So far the scale is consistent and performs well every time I have used it. American Weigh Scale Ac-650 Digital Pocket Gram Scale, Black, 650 G X 0.1 G

Being a Weight Watcher I struggle the most with eating out and feeling confident in what I'm eating. I recently bought this scale to carry in a little bag containing my spray butter, salad dressing, sour cream and anything else that I might need while dining out. This small scale is easy to use, very accurate and discrete. The lid acts as a tray to weigh the meat portions of my meal. I simply take a sandwich bag to slip it in when I'm done. You can't beat the price here on Amazon. I've seen this scale triple the cost on other sites. If you diet and are tired of guessing your portion size get this scale!

I got this scale so I can weigh out certain foods because I am on a diet. I also have the AWS AMW-100 scale as well, however that only goes to 100 grams and I was extremely limited on the food I was weighing, so I decided to move up to this 650g version.



Firstly I will say it is much smaller than I was anticipating. The AC-650 actually has a smaller weighing platform (width wise) than my AMW-100 model. Based on the pictures with the lid acting as a expansion tray, it was made it to be bigger than it really is. But realistically, this is just about the same rectangular size and shape of a iPhone (although much thicker and a bit taller). Heck, it even looks like a cell phone to some degree.



The scale itself looks very slick, it has a unique style of plastic that almost resembles those rubber-plastics you often find on phone cases, although while it doesn't feel rubbery at all, it has some similarity. Either way, a great texture. The weight of the scale is also good, as it feels heavy for it's size which makes it seem more robust.



As for the actual weighing feature of the scale, it works great. Accuracy is more than good enough for me, I have a old 100g weight from my other scale and it weighed it exactly at 100g right out of the box. I also really like the easy to use, perfectly sized on/off button, which is a huge step up from my AMW-100 scale which had flat, sunk-in style buttons. So far it has been working just as good as my other 100 gram scale, and the TARE feature is really useful (I didn't know what this feature did until I got this scale).



Now for the con. The lid that comes with it might be a problem for some people. As it is not really secured to the scale when it is in place, so it can easily come off in transport or if juggled around in a drawer too much. The lid is also made of hard plastic that is easily crackable. It's nice to have it separate so I can expand the size of my weighing surface, but I much prefer the style of my AMW-100 model, where the lid is attached on a hinge and snaps shut when not in use. But hey, for a scale that only cost me $11 plus free shipping, I really can't complain here.



Overall I like the scale. The increase from 100g to 650g makes a HUGE difference for me, and has expanded the potential food items I will be able to weigh on it. Not sure if it will last as long as my AMW-100 (which still works great) but only time will tell and I will edit this review as necessary.

Very nice scale. Works perfectly. It does, however, eat batteries. This would be 5-star if not for that. I take the battery out and keep it in the travel pouch between uses. That seems to help a lot. But you are going to have to have some CR2032 batteries on hand all the time.

The product is fantastic, not only was the price more than reasonable, but the scale works better than any other I've owned. However the shipping was off by three days, I am not sure that was due to the postal service, or the company, but I believe it was USPS. I would highly recommend this item to anyone looking for a quality scale for a reasonable price....as long as they have some time on their hands.

I bought this to weigh letters to get the right postage. However, the scale is so small and so close to the ground that it is impossible to put anything larger than an ordinary envelope on it, without the ends resting on the ground. I did, however, figure out that if you take a larger envolope, say 8.5-by-11, and rest it on the edge, you can get the correct weight. You need to gently balance the envelope from the sides so it doesn't fall over, yet doesn't put weight on your fingers.

This scale works fine for most things. However, even when I first used it the weights of whatever I was weighing out would always teeter-totter +- .1. The same nickel would sometime weigh 5.0, but other times 5.1 or 4.9. Overall, it works, but there are better ones out there for the same price - Fast Weigh - Weighing Scale - Diet - Digital'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information