Monday 26 September 2011

winches - winches


I was shocked to learn that I could buy this powerful of a winch for so little money. It works great, comes complete with the mounting bolts, etc. I wished it had a roller fairlead, but for the price, you cannot complain. Superwinch needs to package these better, because the styrofoam it comes in, can sometimes be damaged. This winch is HEAVY! Mine came in with a bolt on the gear casing bent, from the carrier dropping it, but it works fine and I have no complaints. A great winch for the money! Superwinch 1585202 LP8500 Series Winch

I've been looking for a winch to attach to the front of Discovery II for a while, but every quality item I had looked at was in the $600+ range. When I seen this, I knew I had to have it. It bolts on perfectly, and used it this weekend for the first time. It worked seamlessly. A great product for a great dollar.



Thanks Amazon!

I got this winch for my 1998 GMC Jimmy about a year ago. I've used it several times around town, as well as once to pull a 4 door Tahoe out of Soup Bowls at Uwharrie National Forrest. The one time that it really proved itself was on a full size Chevorlet Silverado 1500. I got the call that 2 people were stuck in a mud hole and no one could get to them with a tow rope. First I pulled out a Nissan Xterra sitting on it's frame, and the winch didn't even flinch. Next was the Chevy. He was buried past his axles and his tires were just spinning. I strapped my rear hitch to a tree and hooked my winch to his rear hitch. When I started winching my truck started squatting and my custom steel bumper started flexing, but the winch didn't hesitated. After a few seconds the Chevy started sliding sideways and up out of the hole. We unhooked and he somehow managed to slide back in to the same hole. We did it all over again, and again the winch performed perfectly.



The winch itself is strong, everything works as it should, the controller is robust and has stood up to getting wet and being thrown around in my toolbox.



CONCERNS: The finish of the winch hasn't stood up perfectly, but that may be the environment I use it in. I am on the beach weekly, so it gets spray from salt water and salt air constantly. The polished silver parts have surface rust, and the black painted parts are flaking off. To be fair, my friend has a Warn winch and it is doing the same things.



I am using a roller fairlead that has light tabs in it, so I don't know how well the hawse fairlead would work with steel cable instead of synthetic rope.



Overall I am very happy with this winch. I would not hesitate to buy it again. - Winches'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information