Saturday 3 September 2011

Wireless Access Point - usb wireless adapter, wireless adapter


So I have been using this adapter for just over a week. My router is in the next room, 7 feet away, and while I do have continuous signal, I only get one bar out of 5 the majority of the time. I won't complain for the price, but I would be hesitant in buying this if you were using it at a farther distance from your router. I would try discovering the range it has myself, however I am using a desktop PC and not a laptop. Hope this may help others in their decision. 150Mbps WIFI USB WIRELESS LAN ADAPTER 802.11 B/G/N

I attempted to load the drivers from the CD as well as the website, and both failed with the "has encountered a problem and needs to close" error message. There are no FAQs on the website. The product itself has no identifying model or SN on it. The unit I received yesterday has a warranty sticker on the back that says it expired last month.



I glean from the website this is a Chinese product.

the product itself works great, but the cd it gives you is hard to figure out on windows xp. The software is outdated but if you go to their website [...] you can easily download the software from a computer with internet acces, put it on a thumbdrive and install it onto your computer. after that all you have to do is select connection and put in the password.

so, you get what you pay for a great product, but sorry software, still money well spent i think and i bought two

I just got this adapter today and my initial reaction is a good one. The device gets great coverage and was extremely easy to install. Reception is much more reliable than I got with my previous ZyXEL and Linksys adapters. I'm very impressed with the quality I got for such a low price.

I just ordered this device for my PowerMac DP G4 Desktop running OSX 10.5. I recently moved and I had to set the system up in a room with no ethernet access. The package arrived in 2 days (Thanx Amazon). It was a plastic sleeve with the USB device and a small CD-ROM disk and instructions for Windows - but no Mac info. I went to the Ralink website at [...] and downloaded the Mac RTUSB D2870-3.0.3.0 UI-3.0.0.0_2010_09_10.dmg file. I copied the dmg file onto a memory stick. After copying the dmg file off of the memory stiock and onto my PowerMac HD I opened the dmg file and installed the Ralink drivers and application. I restarted the PowerMac, plugged the Ralink USB WiFi device in, rescanned the available WfFi ssid's using Ralink's utility, found my D-Link router, clicked Connect, filled in my WiFi authentication info - and just like that my device was connected. I then had to go to the network preferences and add the Ralink fake ethernet service and that was it - I was connected to the internet. I'm downloading 10.5 system updates as I type this - pretty cool for 10 bucks...

I bought this so I could have all my computers on the internet at the same time. I had one computer that did not have a wifi connection, and this completed that.



I run a linux OS so when I saw this product was compatible with Linux I wanted it pretty bad. The install was easier than I had thought it would be. The CD that came with the wifi dongle had a linux driver on it, but I found it just easier install the 3070 driver from the internet.

This adapter is one best things that I have ever purchased. It does exactly what you expect it to (gives you WI FI) and it is very easy to set up. In Windows 7 it finds the driver for the device ass soon as you plug it in. In Windows XP you have to use the CD but it just takes a minute to do so.

The product works like it was supposed to, although getting it to work was a pain. I have a few quick comments.



1. As many reviewers pointed out, the CD that came with the package was useless.

2. I had to guess the manufacturer and the model number to download the right driver as it has no logo or serial number printed. I got lucky on the third downloaded file by searching for "Ralink".

3. The most I could get out of the adapter is 54 Mbps. It could be a limitation on my Verizon FIOS router, but I don't know for sure.

4. The adapter is LARGE and takes up two USB slots if they are side-by-side. I picked it over adapters with antennas thinking it would take up less space. I was wrong.

5. When it was inserted in a bottom slot on the back of the desktop, the signal strength reads "low". When I moved it to a higher position, signal strength improved. I get "excellent" signal on my laptop. There is no reason the external adapter should get poorer reception.



I wanted to stress that for the price I paid, this adapter works as expected. Not a top notch adapter, but I am only using it on a desktop machine that I use as a file server.

This product does not come with any reasonable documentation. It comes with a mini disk and it is not obvious which is the install file. It comes with a 3X5 installation instruction. The install disk has other stuff like Gimp and other apps. After some looking, I tried to install using the setup.exe and it immediately aborted saying it had encountered an error and had to exit. There is no company name, web site URL or any other contact information. It does not have a company name, product name, MAC address or any other information printed on the device. So there is no way to get help. I tried ralinktech.com and it was not very useful.

Seems to work ok when it works, but I can't connect any faster then 72.0Mbps. It was listed as 150Mbps. It fluctuates constantly so the speed and range varies.I guess you get what you pay for. I wouldn't recommend this item. My advice pay a little more now and save yourself some trouble that will come later. - Usb Wireless Adapter - Wireless Adapter - Wireless Access Point - Usb Network Adapters'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information