Tuesday 13 September 2011

Wireless Mice - razer, laser mouse


Pros: This mouse does everything that I've read in all the reviews including the slight jittering of the mouse. However that is easily fixed by removing the silver/embossed ring around the sensor that reads 5600 dpi sensor, etc. A quick e-mail to the support at Razer will net you a teflon ring to place into the ring (the mouse however will work fine with nothing there). I have always preferred wired mice being a very competitive gamer, I would never have chanced my batteries going out on me at a key time in game play. However this mouse allows you to have the best in both wired and wireless gameplay.



Cons: I wish it weren't so expensive, but you can't always have it your way. I'm a little leery of having the Razer software update the onboard mouse memory, Synapse, every time I open it to make a change; but that is a fairly minor problem as long as it works.



At the writing of this review, a firmware update is available from the Razer website that solves the problems that many have been experiencing with the battery not charging to full capacity. I can confirm that this update solves the problem. Thumbs up to Razer. Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Laser Mouse 5600 DPI

Pros

Great looks and one of a kind packaging. Feels good in the hand and similar to the fantastic Death Adder. That being said, 2 additional buttons are pretty easy to assign a macro to and were big selling point for me. I wanted a mouse with more buttons than the Death Adder (which I love) and the Razer Mamba was a dream come true before I received it. When working properly, there is no noticeable lag in the wireless part of it. Overall build quality is top notch. This mouse does not feel flimsy at all and the materials are of good quality. Probably the most impressive build quality I have come across in a mouse.



Cons

Battery issue is true and annoying. Had full charge did not get much use before the battery was showing that it was dying. The mouse is pretty heavy in my opinion and made my hand tired the first night. I have rather big hands and I was surprised with the heft of this mouse.



The first night with the mouse began with trouble right off the bat. My software kept crashing when I tried to open it. I, uninstalled, re-downloaded, and then I was able to open it in wireless mode only. The software was glitchy and synapse memory saving painfully slow. It seemed as if everything needed to write to the synapse memory even if just closing a menu with no changes. However, in the middle of gaming, my Mamba software crashed and was nice enough to put me to the desktop to tell me. At this point, I decided to try the wired mode after a reboot and could not open the software as it would say that it could not detect the mouse, but the mouse saved much of the settings and in wired mode, felt okay to use. Going wireless solved this problem of getting back into the software, but I was left me scratching my head.



One odd item is that I could not find an option in the software to use 5600 dpi and lower the mouse pointer speed. Other mice put the windows slider in there to make it easy to adjust. I personally like to use full DPI available and adjust the speed of the pointer to suit my taste. I feel this enhances precision in games and the DPI is sort of what I am paying for. This software uses DPI as the speed and I thought this was silly. When my software crashed, the mouse would be extremely slow and a pain to use.



Second day, bad problems began. I had charged the mouse overnight to make sure the battery was fully charged. I could almost live with the software issues with the hope that they could be ironed out. The real issues began when getting the freezing of the mouse reminiscent of my G7 years back. My hope was that this mouse with its "advanced" channel scanning feature would be different that the G7 experience I had (note: G7 worked for months before the freezing. I thought it was broken at the time and not environment related). I, uninstalled, re-downloaded, and installed multiple times. I tried nearly every USB port in the back of the computer and it would work for a second and freeze for 5 seconds. I tried syncing it and everything I could think of. There was nothing online to help to give me any direction. Razer's site is not helpful and a bit too self promoting. I uninstalled the Mamba and reinstalled the Death Adder and had no issues at all with that mouse. My conclusion was that there were some defects with either the mouse or software or both. The only thing I did not seem to have problem with was packing it up and sending it back to Amazon.



Summary

Overall, I had a bad experience with this mouse. Will it happen to you? Who knows. Since most reviews online I have read seem to be slam dunks (makes me question the source honestly), I think the odds could be in your favor. I might just have issues with the 2.4ghz frequency where I live since the G7 gave me the same type of problem after 6 months. One other thing noted often about other products is that Razer support is weak. They responded to my detailed account of what happened, but the response was "try a different USB port on the mainboard directly". I asked if others had the same problem and whether it could be fixed with update etc. No responses to those questions only the try other USB ports, which I already did. I did not have the patience to "hope" it would be fixed later on.



The packaging is nice and I had people from all around me at work marvel at it. You really need to see this in person to appreciate it. However, I would rather have simple clamshell packaging and save a few bucks in the process.



The mouse has great potential and I wanted to love it. I rate it 2 stars for the apparent build quality and the packaging. I am not trying to bash Razer. If you read my reviews, you will see that the Death Adder is thought of highly by me. I also have a Tarantula keyboard that I like a lot, so I do like Razer products. However, this experience was so bad in so many ways, I was shocked and disappointed with them. I ended up sending mine back to Amazon for a full refund of everything including return shipping. So I did not lose any money in the process. This is why Amazon is my go to retailer for almost anything that I can wait a day or two to get. They stand behind what they sell and treat the customer properly. In the end, I wanted a mouse with more buttons than my Death Adder. I eventually went with the G9 and generally pleased with it and had no problems whatsoever installing and using it. Looks like Razer will have to win back my loyalty from Logitech, again. - Gaming Mice - Gaming Mouse - Laser Mouse - Razer'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information