Sunday 18 September 2011

Wireless Repeater - asus, wireless router


The short review is: excellent router, extremely easy to set up, great range, good stability, nice white color, absolutely no complaints.



Here's the longer review:



I took a total risk on this router...there were no reviews on Amazon, I'd never heard of ASUS, and wasn't convinced that ordering it was a good idea. However, the price was right, and I had just spent frustrating hours trying to configure a Netgear route. My previous router, a D-link, had a "known issue" that the manufacturer solved by discontinuing the model's support. So, I thought, let me try this unknown brand and see what happens. If worse comes to worse I'd just return it to Amazon.



WOW was I pleased! Literally, 10 minutes after I had opened it, I had it configured as an access point, had logged into the router from my wireless laptop, and had set up a password to encrypt the network. I've set up maybe 5-7 routers in my life and always dread it... this was by far the easiest experience I've ever had. In the picture on the site, this router looks like it's an ugly grey color. It is a shiny smooth white - think Apple ipod aesthetic - with nice white antennas. Very aesthetically pleasing.



Though the advertising for this router states "diskless setup" it <does> come with an optional setup disk. I did not use it as I wanted to test the advertising's claim...and am pleased to say it's an example of truth in advertising!



I'm also getting very good signal strength, speed and stability...I will DEFINITELY update this review if I run into issues, but overall I'm giving this thing 5 stars (and I almost never give 5 stars because I think everything has room for improvement) because it was so inexpensive and easy to set up, and performs exactly as advertised.



I am using this router as an "access point" which means it is connected via ethernet cable to another router and serves to extend the range of my wireless network. There's a switch on the back that allows you to select access point mode, standard router mode, or bridge/repeater mode.



HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!



Update 5/10/2010- still working great... I put some white electricians' tape over the blue LEDs in front as they were too bright, but other than that, no issues at all. I forget it's there - it just works all the time without needing to be unplugged every so often like my other routers.... my wireless devices are always connected to it and don't lose signal. Still a 5-star review.



Update 8/13/2011- This unit is still cranking away...doing great. I NEVER have to unplug and plug it back in, it just works... no rebooting. I just bought the N16 model to replace my primary wireless router (using this one as an access point to extend the network) and am very pleased with it as well... the two work well together. STILL happy with this router! ASUS (RT-N12) Wireless-N 300 Advance Home Router: Fast Ethernet, 3 in 1 switch(Router/Repeater/Access Point) and support upto 4 Guest SSID(Open source DDWRT Support)

Okay, this is the first review I have written for Amazon, but I felt compelled, because I had to do too much research on this project.



The quick backdrop:

I have recently moved to a new house, and I have two areas in the house requiring internet. I could not run a CAT5 cable from the source to the back room, where I am running both a windows XP and Ubuntu desktop. I already have a Linksys wireless b/g/n router but I didn't want to buy USB wireless dongles for my desktops (each new desktop would require a new dongle).



After much looking on the internet, I wasn't sure which equipment was correct to act as a long distance access point (for my wired devices). I bought this one, because it was a good price, and had both repeater mode and access point. I figured something must work.



I was quite pleasantly surprised to find out how easy it was to set this up. I am quite techy and don't fear digging in to solve any problems, but I didn't have too many issues. One warning; when using the IP address for the original Linksys router (192.168.1.1), I ran into problems. After installing and using the manual software on that came on the CD, I was able to get to the proper settings. I am now running in repeater mode (yes, the repeater boosts the signal AND communicates to the 4 wired/switched LAN connections) with the bonus that I also have good signal to the garage (200 feet away from the original transmitter).



Let me repeat: THIS PERFORMS WELL AS A WIRELESS BRIDGE TO WIRED DEVICES.



I hope this turns up in someone else's Google search.



The Final analysis:

It works well for what I needed, without any upgrades. I have been using it for 4 days no problem. I will now consider Asus as a legitimate computer accessory brand, and look forward to using their products.

Asus makes great hardware. Here is an N router with good specs for pennies compared to equivalent hardware. The router has 4MB of memory for flashing a new firmware. It has 32MB of RAM. It's running the Broadcom 4716 chipset. That puts this router in the same class as much more expensive competitors. Funny though that the router suggests in its documentation that it can be flashed with custom firmware. I use it as the hub for 2 wire computers and a laptop. Sometimes add in a smartphone. It is quick with all of them and has had zero problems.



From the reviews it is apparent they don't spend time on their own firmware. The default look of the firmware was pretty cheap. Putting on a custom firmware makes it a beast that will consistantly act as an AP, Client Bridge, or Repeater with too many featers. I flashed it the minute I got it with the custom DD-WRT firmware built specifically for this model and it is as powerful as any router. No temporary drops, no slow downs, no connection problems. I recommend this to anyone who wants a cheap but powerful router, and has enough technical know how to flash it to take advantage of it. If you are willing to try, just read the DD-WRT forums, it is all explained there. - Dd-wrt - Router - Asus - Wireless Router'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information