Tuesday 13 September 2011

12 Cup Coffee Maker - mr coffee, coffeemaker


Bought this model at walmart for [...] as I had a gift card for there. Have used daily for about 6 weeks - usu. make about 8 cups. There have been no issues and the coffee tastes good for this economy model. Pause-n-serve works fine...can occasionly drip as all these models do when using that feature. Just keep a small napkin to wipe it off burner before setting carafe back on it. If you pull the carafe between "burps" (when the coffee actually drips through), you can virtually eliminate or minimze the drip. Easy to clean, the 2/hr shutoff works fine, and the timed brew feature works fine (as long as power doesn't go off over night). Overall it was a great buy in my opinion. The last Mr. Coffee I had (similiar unit) lasted 15 years...I can only hope this one lasts half that long. I even kept and use the same gold filter unit from the old one & it works fine on this model.



NOTE: Save the grounds and use on houseplants, in garden, and on small trees. Keeps insects away esp ants. The trees/plants absorbed the caffeine which doesn't hurt them - the insects can't tolerate it. I've been doing this for 20 years and works great. Mr. Coffee CGX23 12-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker, Black

I was very excited when I first bought this coffeemaker five weeks ago. It had everything I wanted in a coffeemaker. It was very stylish, convenient, easy to use, did not drip when pouring, was programmable, made a good cup of coffee, had cord storage, wasn't too large, had automatic shut-off after 2 hrs., etc. Too bad it stopped working after only 5 weeks of light use. I used it 3 to 4 times a week for one pot at a time. All of the sudden, the water wouldn't come through. I tried cleaning it as recommended, but to no avail. All it did was sputter and steam up my whole kitchen. Maybe I got a dud, but I returned it to Walmart and bought a different brand. Too bad, since I had such high hopes for this one.

So far this has been a wonderful product. We have had it about five weeks and use it five times a week. It is easy to use, makes great,hot coffee and looks good on the counter.



Our previous coffee maker was a Mr. Coffee which lasted about fifteen years. We looked at and researched many brands. For the price and given the service that we got from the previous Mr. coffee maker we went with this model.



The pot is easy to pour from with no drips. There are no grounds in the coffee. There is an occasional drip onto the hot plate when you remove the pot, but not every time. It is easy to fill with water and coffee. The brewing time for nine cups is about fourteen minutes. There is a gurgling sound toward the end of the brewing cycle but it is not loud. We are well pleased with our purchase.

I just purchased at least my third coffee maker in this same style and features. The first two were black, while my new one is white. This coffee maker is very easy to use and very reliable. I have never had any problems, in terms of making coffee.



I did have a problem with the previous one as the heating area got worn away in a small spot and stained the coffee pot. Didn't effect the coffee, but didn't look good.

The clock on my coffee maker has reset itself, jumping one or two hours, without anyone having touched it. This makes it impossible to use the delay brew function with confidence. This is a shame because the coffee maker is otherwise well designed.

This coffee maker is great! The only (and I mean only) small issue I've had so far is that when the steam comes up to pour through the grounds, the grounds tend to splash outside of the filter and they get into the coffee itself. I say this is a minor issue because I used to drink Turkish style coffee a lot so I really don't care if there are grounds in my brew, but it does cause me to give it 4 of 5 stars because the coffee maker isn't *supposed* to do this. The problem could be that I grind beans myself and I could be grinding them too fine... bigger grounds probably don't splash around. It's worth buying the coffee maker, I've been happy with it, otherwise!

The Good:

I liked this pot because it was simple and had the basic essential functions - Simple to use, programmable, auto shut-off, good capacity, and no useless frills. From the moment I set it up I was pleased with its performance and ease of use.

The Bad:

Like other reviewers have mentioned, this coffee maker is not long for this world. After 4 short months of use, the pump failed. The coffee maker now spurts, chokes, and cries its way through each pot. And the surges of water into the basket will often displace the filter, meaning grounds can end up anywhere.



I am a fan of simple devices because simple devices usually have less complexity, and therefore, fewer failure modes. I had high hopes this would be one of those products. But alas, it failed anyway.



Note: The failure is not due to high levels of deposits in my water. My previous coffee maker endured more than 5 years of my tap water, and probably would have gone on longer, had I not broken it. And my clothes iron has endured the same 5 years of tap water, and it still performs admirably.



Be careful with this pot; it gets tired too quickly.

Nothing fancy but it does the job and the coffee tastes good so who cares? At home I have a fancy cuisinart coffee maker that makes amazing coffee, but costs triple what this one costs. This one is for work and it's just fine for the job.



Coffee is a little weaker than I'd like but I make up for that by adding more coffee/less water than what the instructions call for.



My only minor quibble is that when I pour from the carafe, it dribbles if I don't pour very carefully, making a mess on the counter.

This coffeemaker brews weak coffee with 4 scoops of Folgers for the pot. With 5 scoops, it overflowed the filter, and the coffee still isn't as strong as I like.



This is too bad, because otherwise this is an attractive, inexpensive coffeemaker with a lot to like about it. I especially like the carafe design, which is easy to handle when full and doesn't spill easily when poured fast.



My house is at 6200' elevation, and water boils at about 201°F. Consequently, all coffeemakers tend to produce hot water faster than at sea level. I suspect this is the root cause of the weak coffee and the filter overflow. However, the coffee maker I'm replacing, an old B&D Spacemaker (RIP), brewed 12 cups of robust coffee with 4 scoops of coffee.



A few other relatively minor quibbles:

1. To fill it with water, you have to lift the lid, which is the entire top of the coffeemaker and hinged in the back. This requires more clearance than available under a typical kitchen cabinet, so you have to slide the unit out from under the cabinet.

2. There are two holes in the back of the water tank to prevent overfilling. However, when the unit is filled completely (to the 12-cup mark, not over), the water level is about 1/4" below these holes. When you slide the unit back under the cabinet with a full tank, it's very easy to slosh the water and have it come out the holes. A bit of duck tape would fix this, however.

3. The carafe may be a bit harder than average to clean because of a small opening at the top and sharp angles in the glass at the bottom. However, with a little strategy and the right brush, this shouldn't be a problem. - Programmable - Mr Coffee - Coffeemaker - 12 Cup Coffee Maker'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information