Thursday 22 September 2011

Brake Pads


I've installed plenty of brake pads before, but this one is the first set that specifically says not to apply any sort of anti-squeek compound or disc brake grease on the back of the pads because it's supposed to have this thermoquiet technology. I followed the instructions and only greased the ears of the pads and installed them (they have built-in shims so just slap them on and you're good to go). After driving around a couple of hundred miles, I do notice slight brake squeel upon coming to a complete stop. I never had this sort of problem when installing other ceramic pads using standard shims and applying disc brake grease on the back of the pads and the shims. However, given the price I paid ($30) and the price they are today as I write this review (around $27), I'd say it can't be beat and you really can't go wrong for such a cheap price (hell, I'm thinking about stocking up on another set right now because it's only $27 right now). Otherwise it seems the pads are still decent and my experience might have been a one-off case. I did also put on new rotors for this brake job, so not sure if that has anything to do with the slight squeel. Anyway, the squeel is very slight and almost unnoticeable unless you really listen for it.



The one good thing about these Wagners are it comes with pad retaining clips. I've never seen that before in any other brands I bought. Wagner QC465A ThermoQuiet Ceramic Disc Brake Pad Set

I have a 2003 Honda Civic EX Coupe, and these pads fit just fine. Now I just installed the pads together with some Brembo Blank Rotors I purchased on Amazon as well so I can't say these are 100% great brakes, but so far so good. I will be updating this review as I continue to break in the pads.



Anyway, I've gone through 2 sets of Honda Pads ($45+) and after doing a little research, I found out that the Honda pads are Semi-Metallic pads. I'm thinking those are a little rough on the rotors because I've had to machine my stock rotors twice and this third time I decided to change the rotors all together. I was deciding between these Wagner thermos and the Hawk Ceramics but the deciding factor was the price. The Hawks are almost $70 while these Wagner's are only around $30. Anyway, the mechanic that installs my parts always says to stay with stock pads because they're guaranteed to fit, but when he saw these he was blown away by their quality. He said it's a good design because the shims are and the ceramic pads are built together whereas the Honda ones are in two different pieces. These also come with replacement clips to replace the dirty stock ones as well. These new pads haven't squealed at all. Great purchase, great price!



*Will update as mileage increases.

I highly recommend this to anyone who is looking for a cheap alternative set of brake pads. I've used a couple of different brake pads since i first got my civic and these are by far the best. Still prefer the OEM ones but these def come close to it.

I would like to thank Amazon.com for having this product available, I purchased this item last week and was shipped by Amazon direct from one of their facilities. They say don't buy after market parts for brakes because it makes noise and can ruin your rotor, but that is just not true, it was easy to install thanks to You Tube and now I just saved a lot of money. Before you buy do some research on the product, read reviews, ask some people and then make your decision ("use your common sense"). I am happy with my choice to use Wagner and Amazon made it possible for me to make my decision to buy this product. There are just too many products to choose. I had fun doing it on line because I was able to compare all the different brands, watch you tube videos on how to replace brake pads. I tell you guys and gals dont be fooled by the people from the repair shops, if you know what your doing and you studied it you will be ok. Thanks and happy shopping!'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information