Saturday 24 September 2011

Brother Labeling Tape


When I bought my Brother label maker, I bought two extra cartridges because I knew I'd be using it alot. Well its been almost six months, and I use the labeler every other day for something, and the cartridge that came in the labeler is still going strong. I've had no problems with running out or the labels not sticking. The only problem I have had was when I try to take the paper backing off of the label...maybe Brother could devise an easier way for a guy with no fingernails to get the backing off easier. Brother M231 1/2-Inch Black on White Tape for P-Touch Labeler

Works great. The printing is very visible and sticks well without leaving a messy residue. I'd rate it 5 except:



1. There is excessive lead before and after the printed space and excessive top and bottom space even when printing with the largest letters (this may be the fault of the Brother printer rather than the tape).



2. If you switch tape cartridges for different colors, you have to watch out for getting the tape outside of its tape cartridge guide tabs. After the open area where the printing happens, the tape goes under two guide tabs. It is easy to carelessly pull the cartridge out of the printer so that the print head pulls the tape out from the tabs. If you try and use the cartridge with the tape outside of the guide tabs the tape will jam up in the printer.



My spouse and I have tried a couple of different labelers like the Brother but found them not as satisfying. This tape and the printer it goes with are a very nice products.

This stuff is great. My wife and I use it to label things we don't use often so we can tell at a glance what is in a box or what a bottle contains. It goes into the labeler without a fuss and works the first time every time. The glue on the back (once the backing is peeled) requires the the surface be dirt and oil free or it will eventually come off. The printing will "wear off" if you are using it in a high friction environment such as on a book in a backpack. However, it lasts long enough that whatever it is on becomes habit and the label is no longer necessary.



BTW, if I did not have fingernails, I could not peel the backing off without using a large paperclip. There ought to be suggestions from Brother about the best way to get the backing started off the label.

I needed a label maker for a job at work, and this one was on sale. I used it, I like it, and I would recommend it. The only drawback is the price of the tape. It is a bit steep, but not prohibitive. I used all of the cartridge that came with the unit, and a part of a new, full cartridge, and I had no problems at all.

User-friendly instructions guide in making clear, legible, labels with matching Brother label-maker. Occasionally hard to peel off paper from adhesive backing. Tape easy to install. On-line price better than store.

We bought one of these labelers. The first surprise came as we started to use it. As has been noted at length by another reviewer on this page, these labelers are designed to waste the tape. OK, we thought. Whatever.



Then, when the tape ran out, we purchased more via Amazon. Wow, these refills are unreasonably expensive! Brother clearly has a "give away the razors and sell the blades" philosophy, seemingly making all of their money on the tape. But we bought it anyway, cause what else were we going to do? We were stuck.



We got the tape, inserted it correctly. But the cartridge was faulty and it unraveled on the second label. Irreperable. So we called Brother and -- guess what -- the tapes have NO WARRANTY!!



So, unless you are in the mood to give Brother a *blank check* for your labeling needs, don't get into bed with them. They will leave you angry and wanting.

I've been using this tape for my P-Touch for years and it's great. One cartridge lasts me forever. I can label anything, including my children's ice packs and cups. They stay on in the freezer and in the dishwasher. The ink doesn't smudge, but after a few years of going through the dishwasher, the ink may fade. If I need to, I just peel off and make another one. As long as the surface is non-porous, it comes off when I need it to without any trouble without leaving any residue. What's not to like?

I've been using the P-Touch PT-80 for over a year and just ran out of tape. The product works great for labeling files, wires, or anything else.



I noticed some reviewers said the tape was hard to peel. The PT-80 has a tape peeler feature (just a little slot) that gets the peel started and works like a champ.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information