Friday 2 September 2011

Combination Smoke - fire, carbon monoxide detector


This review is from: Kidde KN-COSM-B Battery-Operated Combination Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Alarm with Talking Alarm (Tools & Hardware)



I've installed installed two of these Kidde brand combination smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in my elder parents home. I have one in my own home as well and have found them all to be reliable and trouble free.



What attracted me to this model were its many features:



First, it has a low profile, attractive and unobtrusive design.



Second and perhaps most important, it has a voice speaking function that, in addition to the 85db alert horn, will speak out clear warnings: "FIRE, FIRE" or "DANGER: CARBON MONOXIDE". I think that this feature is a terrific addition toward modern life-safety technology. Indeed, you will likely see more voice warning devices in the near future.



We rely on these detectors to warn us, especially at night when we are sleeping. Awakening to this detector from a deep sleep helps orient you quickly by telling you the specific danger -- clearly and unmistakably. Notably, recent studies have shown that children can sleep through traditional smoke detector alarms, but will respond to voice warnings -- which this unit provides. Thus, placed in or near bedrooms this device can be a true lifesaver.



Another favorite feature is ease of installation. It was a breeze and truly could not be simpler. A screwriver is all you need. A small power drill/driver would speed the process, but is not necessary. Two screws into the ceiling or wall and you are done with the mounting bracket. The detector then just clicks in to place with a clockwise flick of the wrist. This is a do-it-yourselfer's dream. It doesn't get any easier!



Battery maintenance is easy too as all you need do is turn the detector counter-clock wise a few clicks, and down it comes. You slide open the battery cover, take out the old batteries and pop in the new. Replace the detector back in the attached ceiling bracket, give it a slight turn and in it goes with a firm click. Done! Easier than screwing in a light bulb.



Finally, the price is right! Under $40 for a unique life-safety device that is quickly installed and easily maintained.



I have elected to use Energizer lithium batteries and replace them every 12 months -- with no problems. You may wish to change the batteries every 6 or 9 months. Duracells would also be a good choice. I personally would not use the cheaper, so called "heavy duty" batteries in a life-safety device.



I should add that I would also suggest that if you have a home with multiple levels or an apartment with several rooms, having a separate stand-alone carbon monoxide detector elsewhere in the house as part of a total home plan would be a wise investment. Kidde also makes a fine combination model that protects against Carbon Monoxide and Explosive Gas. That unit, which has a digital display, runs on electricity and has a battery back-up system. It plugs in any electric outlet and can stay in the wall socket, or it can be placed flat on a table or dresser.



I would also recommend Kidde's dedicated dual sensor photoelectric/ionization smoke detectors. These dual sensor devices provide maximum warning under fast or slow moving fire conditions. As one never knows what kind of fire could occur, these are the most versatile.



Be sure to test your alarm regularly. REMEMBER that most carbon monoxide detectors NEED TO BE REPLACED about every five to seven years (see manufacturer's guidelines). Similarly, smoke detectors have a useable life span as well. It's usually a little longer than carbon monoxide detectors -- check your manufacturer's guidelines. Kidde KN-COSM-XTR-B Nighthawk Intelligent Alarm, Combination Carbon Monoxide, Fire and Smoke

When I first bought my house, a friend of mine recommended replacing all my smoke detectors with smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Smartly, I took his advise and replaced all of them with these.



A couple years later, one evening, my daughter was in bed and me and my wife was just about to head to bed the Kidde detector starts yelling, "Warning - Carbon Monoxide".



Freaked me out. Got everyone out of the house and called 911. Fire department came out and shut the gas off to the appliances and cleared the house. It turned out to be the gas water heater which needed a little maintenance.



It scares me to think of what could have happened if I didn't have this Smoke/Carbon Monoxide detector.



So, I highly recommend this detector for everyone. Really, just get it...

The Kidde KN-COSM-XTR-B Intelligent Alarm, Combination Carbon Monoxide, Fire and Smoke detector is replacing a very similar Kidde alarm that finally died after several years of faithful service.



I looked at "First Alert" alarms as I have heard good things about them years ago (30 years ago), but after reading the reviews on First Alert alarms it became obvious that things have changed and there seemed to be some problems now with them. Apparently they are malfunctioning in a number of ways.



So I stuck with Kidde as it had served me well in the past, and purchased one very similar to the outgoing Kidde. The nice thing about doing that is that the new one fits on the old mount. All I had to do was put the batteries (included) in the new one and twist it onto the old mount and then enjoy the rest of my day! Life is good!



Pete

I've used these products in the past and have always been satisfied. Not only does it tell you if there is a fire or CO issue but it alerts you when battery is low and if there is a malfunction. Easy install and battery replacement.

This appears to be an excellent product combining a fire, smoke, and a carbon monoxide warning system into one, easy to install, sound and voice, unit. Should I ever need the alarm feature, I hope it works as well as the test procedure. Kidde has always produced outstanding products and I'd like to see every home, everywhere, have at least one of these units installed. Also, ordering from Amazon.com, as usual, was very reliable and convenient. - Smoke Alarms - Alarm - Fire - Carbon Monoxide Detector'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information