Thursday 8 September 2011

Digital Radio - sangean, portable radio


I am a letter carrier for the post-office and my pocket radio was my constant companion. In this age of MP3 players and

I-pods, it would seem that the AM /FM pocket radio had become extinct. No electronics store, even in New York City could offer a reasonable replacement for my worn out AIWA CR-LD100. I thought my radio days on the route were over. In desperation I searched the web and came upon the SANGEAN DT-120. If you are looking for a pocket sized, lite-weight radio that offers outstanding reception when you are on the move, then this is it. Only slightly bigger than the AIWA but not bulky at all. The reception is outstanding and there is plenty of volumn. With 5 preset buttons for 2 FM bands and 1 AM, you get 15 presets. The controls are not complicated at all. The on/off button is at the top, on the edge, and the volume toggle is directly below it(maybe a little too close to the on/off). On the front face, 4 buttons control the band selector, x-tra bass, and manual tuning. The digital display is plenty big and highly visible. Across the top edge are the TINY and close set, preset buttons. You can easily cover two of them with one finger tip, so you need a light touch. Its the only feature that is problematic for me, but in no way is it a deal breaker. The AM receiver is quite sensitive and easily pulls in distant stations, especially at night. Which is perfect if you like to search for sporting events from local stations in far away cities. The FM stereo is superb, loud ,clear, with lots of seperation. The sound quality of the ear buds is excellent, but because I walk all day I needed to replace them with the type that hook around my ears. I use this radio all day sometimes 10 hours a day, and the battery lasts about a week and a half. I never thought I would find a radio as good as my AIWA, but the Sangean DT-120 does the job for me. Sangean Dt-120 White Pocket Am/Fm Digital Radio (White)

This is a delightful little radio. It has excellent FM and AM reception. It even rivals my Denon receiver at home for pulling in some of the weaker stations. The controls are intuitive and easy to use and the radio is also surprisingly light. Battery life is also great.



Overall one off the best purchases I've made this year. I'm very impressed.

I have had this unit for a couple of months. So far I am very pleased with its performance.



I bought this unit because of all the positive reviews for the tuner. And this unit does not dissapoint in this regard. A local sports team has a low power radio broadcast within their arena. A cheap $10 radio could barely get the station, much less provide a listenable broadcast. The Sangean pulls the broadcast in perfectly. The Sangean even outperforms the factory radio in my Toyota Tacoma. The digital tuner and readout is a huge upgrade from the cheaper radios with their analog tuners.

This is an excellent radio for the size and price. I live in the middle of nowhere (translation is north west Minnesota in the woods) but it can pull very strong AM and FM signals.

The only thing this radio needs is to have clock to display time, otherwise it is perfect delivery of what Sangean has promissed.

This thing is smaller than a deck of cards but really delivers. I am pulling in a AM station clearly that two big boom box type radios I own will not, and one's a Sony the other an Emerson. You turn this radio on in two different modes. If you just press and release the on/off button, it will turn itself off in ninety minutes. If you turn it on by holding in the on button for a couple of seconds it will stay on indefinitely. It has three band settings, AM FM1 and FM2 and they all have five presets easily set so you can program a total of fifteen presets. Searching for stations is easy, you can click the up or down buttons or hold them down to scan for a station. You add them to a preset button by just holding down the preset button for a couple of seconds until you hear a beep. It has a stereo/mono switch for ear bud listening and a rocker switch for raising or lowering the volume. It has a DBB (Bass) button that really works. Lastly it has a lock switch so that absolutely nothing can be changed (station/volume etc.) accidentally. Runs on one AAA battery. When turned on all settings are clearly shown on the LCD screen. I use a pair of Skull Candy ear buds and the sound quality is very good, i don't like the large button ear buds that are typically included with sound equipment. I'm happy as a clam with mine and it will be in my pocket most of the time.

This is great little radio. It is my second one. I lost my first one after several months. It was working perfectly when I lost it(subsequently found, now I have two). The radio doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles(tone control,cock etc), but it has a great reciever,plenty presets, fits easily in a pocket, and only requires one aaa battery. The automatic shut off after 1 hr is great because it saves the battery. You just have to turn it back on once an hr.

I listen to it in bed at night, in the doctors waiting room, and during excercise. It is totally adequate if you just want basic. Great! - Am-fm - Digital - Portable Radio - Sangean'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information