Monday 19 September 2011

Espresso Maker - cappuccino, espresso


This Espresso machine is great for people who love good espresso but can't afford fancy machines. In fact, I think I like this machine better than the fancy machine my mom has. It's super easy to use and quick- I make a latte every morning before work. And in fact you CAN froth milk with the wand- it takes a little finagling but the trick is to rotate the mug around the wand. It may take a couple of tries to get a routine down but by the third time you'll get the hang of it. And may I suggest- if you're making lattes, make only one at a time to get good foam. Enjoy!



I'm surprised at some of the negative reviews of this product. Perhaps the reviewers ended up with the occasional lemons. I've purchased two of these...one I bought for myself, and the other as a gift, and they've worked beautifully. The milk steamer is very effective (but as noted, the wand is a bit short, which would be my only complaint). It would be nice to have a separate bypass switch between brewing and steaming modes, but the lack of one is common in machines in this price range. Overall I'm very happy with mine and have had no problems at all. At the current price, I'd highly recommend purchasing one. If you want more features and better construction, then spend another $100 or more for a steam pump model, but for fast and easy coffee drinks from a functional, affordable machine, this is hard to beat.



January 2010 update: It's been over four years since purchasing two of these coffee makers, and both are still going strong. The one I purchased for myself is used almost daily, and still works perfectly.

I am far from a connoisseur of coffee, but I really like this machine. Unlike the Krupps that is similar priced (FND111 Allegro), it is make much more sturdy. I played with both in a feature to feature comparison and the DeLonghi is MUCH better made.



Best : Quality, quick espresso. Easy to clean, easy to use. Very attractive in the kitchen. Pretty darn quick. Great price for the quality.



OK : Frother is very short, so you need a short, stout cup to froth with. It is good for Cappuccino, but not really powerful enough for steaming a Latte's worth of milk. To get some extra steam, run it through an extra cycle just for steam.



Bad : Not really any for the price.



Overall, I am very, very pleased. I got it for only $39.99 here on Amazon and I think that is one heck of a good deal.

All the reviews I read before I purchased this item said that the coffee maker was purchased to make lattes. Several reviews mentioned the steaming wand being difficult to use, but that they managed in the long run. Well, I feel that the wand is impossible to use as there is no way to chose between the espresso selection and the steaming selection. If you follow the instruction regarding the coffee and the water portions, you have great espresso, but if you want to steam milk, you need to put in more water, but since there is no way to select steam, you have to try and steam the milk while the espresso is brewing and you end up having watered down espresso or steam milk that is not hot enough. I have resorted to just heating my milk up in the microwave and have more of an espresso with hot milk as opposed to a latte. If you want to make lattes, I recommend looking for another espresso maker.

I believe this is my fifth espresso and cappuccino maker (I have worn out the previous four) and this DeLonghi EC5 is by far the best one. It is easy to use, easy to clean, takes up little counter space, while producing the best espressos,cappuccinos and mochas I've made using a Steam-Driven home brewing system. I don't even bother using the glass carafe anymore except to measure and pour the correct amount of water into the machine. I put my favorite cup directly under the filter when I make an expresso, latte or mocha for myself and if a friend joins me I put two cups under the double spouts of the extended filter, which sits lower, allowing me to make two at the same time while foaming the milk. It saves time, makes less mess, and warms the cups at the same time. Perfect for those cold winter mornings allowing me more time to relax and enjoy a hot beverage while visiting with a friend. Less mess, less fuss, less time, and my friends and I believe it produces the best beverage yet while allowing us more time to visit.

After working at Starbucks and getting free espresso drinks for 4 years, I needed an espresso machine to support my habit. This one was the most affordable with the best reviews, and so we went with it. I am so impressed! First of all, don't follow the directions on steaming the milk, instead of moving the pitcher up and down just keep the tip of the steam wand right below the surface of the milk. It should just barely look like the surface is stirring. If you have too many bubbles pull the wand out slightly at an angle. That will make foam instead of bubbles. The quality of the espresso shot isn't the best, so if you drink straight espresso I wouldn't recommend this. But for lattes, cappuccinos, or flavored americanos, it's so worth it. The money we're saving is great. (Even for a pro barista like me it took a few tries to get it right to make two at a time, so don't get discouraged at first!) - Coffee - Espresso Maker - Espresso - Latte - Cappuccino - Coffee Maker'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information