Monday 26 September 2011

External Floppy Drive - external floppy drive, external drive


The 1.44MB USB External Floppy Disk Drive (Black) is a reliable item if you need to use a floppy disk drive. I have some software that needs to save to a floppy disk, I wasn't to sure about this product when I bought I thought the price was great and maybe that was a sign that the product wouldn't work but I was wrong it's very good, fast and quick to intall. 1.44MB USB External Floppy Disk Drive (Black)

I purchased a drive which had some intermittent reading problems. I left negative feedback because of it. I also sent an FYI to the seller, but explained that an RMA was not necessary, because the cost of shipping wouldn't make it worth it.



However, to my surprise I received a new and fully working drive in the mail today! The seller sent one out without my knowledge. I greatly appreciate the treatment and now have a drive that works without problems.

I had important docs on floppies from the mid-'90s (my very bad), never having saved them elsewhere mostly because I hadn't had a computer with an A-drive for a decade and just forgot about it. Running across the discs recently, I panicked, assuming even the externals weren't being manufactured any more. I was thrilled to find out I was wrong. Mine is brand spanking new and works perfectly, and this is a steal of a price. I got it just to transfer files from floppy to current storage, so longevity is not an issue for me. Recommended.

I'm sorry. I should be more specific.



Pros

For those with no floppy drive who need to get information from a floppy, this appears to be your answer.

When you plug it in the USB port, the computer finds it and you will be able to get your information off of a floppy disk.



Cons

Put in a second disk, and it still thinks the first disk is in and will not refresh that until you re-boot.

Same problem on Win 98SE, Win XP, Win Vista, Win 7. Haven't tried it on a MAC.



Did I get a Lemon?

i was impressed that the usb portable diskette drive i had ordered came early. i was so eager to try it that i did not waste a minute to plug it to my toshiba laptop. finally, i thought i could retrieve and read the word documents kept in the 3m ds,dd 1.0mb/1.0mo floppy. to my chagrin and deep disappointment, it refused to open the files on the floppy diskette. the first command prompt was to format the floppy. i did. but my windows 7 was unable to complete the format despite numerous attempts. the product that is described as TEAC 1.44MB USB External Floppy Disk Drive (Black) is a total letdown. it dashed my last hope of being able to resurrect the files i've stored in the floppy.

This is a no name and I mean NO NAME drive. There is no mfg or web site to support this product. The package did not contain the driver disc referenced in the pamphlet that came with it but it didn't need it. I plugged it in to the usb port, let it install and plugged in a floppy disc. Read with no problem so it is Plug-n-Play.

Fortunately, Amazon refunded my purchase price after accepting return of the drive. It was defective. It could not read most floppies, nor could it format them. Disks would often hang up on ejection. It performed the same way on each of my three computers.

Drive was reported defective by Windows XP. Amazon has ordered a UPS pickup for the defective unit. I had to do a separate order to get a replacement sent out but Amazon customer service offered free 2 day shipping on the replacement unit. (As a credit after the fact.) Hopefully the 2nd drive will work properly.



Drive is nice and sleek and comes with a paper users guide and a mini-CD of software drivers for Windows 98. The manual says Windows 2000, ME and XP will automatically recognize the drive. The drivers are only needed for Windows 98. I will update review once the replacement unit arrives.



UPDATE: Replacement unit works excellent, even works as a floppy boot drive. XP recognizes automatically. Drive works flawlessly. Noisy and slow as are all "modern" 3-1/2" diskette drives.

Received in good working order, and it's nice and quiet. Plug & Play in Win XP (no drivers needed), but a driver disk is included for Win 98 (which probably works for Win 2000 too).



It's a generic "Made in China" product on the outside, but I found a NEC FD3238T slim floppy drive on the inside (common in lots of different laptops).



What I'm not thrilled about is the manufacture date of 10/2005 found inside...nearly SIX years ago. Something to consider before purchasing this "new" product. - Usb Floppy Drive - External Floppy Drive - Drive - External Drive'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information