Wednesday 7 September 2011

ir repeater - ir repeater


I purchased two of these units, one on each frequency, to address a situation where IR remote control of two TV set ups in adjacent rooms visible to each other was causing unintended operation. By "blinding" the IR sensors after attaching the IR heads from the RF extenders it did solve the problem.



The caveats are:

- Don't expect easy access to technical support from the company. Emails go totally unanswered. Phone messages left go unanswered. If you are lucky enough, however, to actually reach someone on the phone when you call, Bob in my case (once), you can get help.

- I could not make the RF extender work to turn on or off a Motorola DCT-700 cable box. In fact with the remote supplied by cable company it would not work at all. (What made this really strange is that the incredible sensitivity of the IR control of the DCT-700 is the reason I had the problem I was trying to solve!) When I substituted a Logitech Harmony remote I was able to easily control the cable box, but still not the on-off function on a reliable basis. (I solved the problem by leaving the cable box on all the time). When I did talk to Bob he acknowledged that they had issues with some cable boxes - something to do with IR pulse length - and that they have an updated version of the receiver designated with a "+" that may address the issue. He offered a swap out if I called and asked for this, but as I could never reach him again I did not pursue this approach.

- Be very careful if you do buy units on the two different frequencies. While the battery sized transmitters are color coded, the two receivers look identical in EVERY way right down to the model number and FCC designation. (I have no idea how they manage to keep these sorted out in their own operations!) After getting them mixed up a few times, I ended up using adhesive labels on each receiver to identify them.

- In most set ups you will need more than the single IR extender head included in the package. An optional 3-head cable costs extra.

- The receiver has 3 settings. The instructions indicate that some equipment may work better, or only, with one of the settings. As such it is quite possible that you could end up with a single RF extender receiver not being able to control all your gear. As the most likely role for this kind of unit will be to control many boxes inside a closed cabinet, this restriction could be an issue, and require you to buy 2 units for the same system. (I did not run into this as I used the extender ONLY for the cable box. I used the normal IR for the TVs as they were different models and didn't cross impact each other.)

- As noted in the instructions the location of the battery like transmitter in a remote that uses multiple batteries can be critical, and requires trial and error.

- The nature of the design means that you do need to swap the rechargeable batteries on a regular basis. The unit comes supplied with two and the receiver charges the one not in use. The challenge is that there is no indication that the batteries need swapped, other than when the remote no longer works. This is a minor inconvenience, but in a unit with this price tag a more elegant approach would have been nice. (I don't yet have experience of the battery life in the Harmony remotes.)



Overall, as noted in other reviews I have read, this is a really innovative and neat concept, that when needed in the kind of situation I was in and others, is a great solution. However the actual implementation, and particularly the virtually non-existent support, leave a bit to be desired so it can't be recommended without reservation. Expect to spend quite a bit of time getting things working reliably.



Using one of the top-end Harmony remotes with RF capability built-in is almost certainly a more elegant solution to most problems addressed by this unit, albeit a more expensive approach. Next Generation Remote Control Extender (418 mhz)

I purchased this item to facilitate control of my audio components (located inside my home) while listening to music through my outdoor speakers (in the back yard). This device works perfectly! I have an average-sized yard and my remote now works from every corner! No more going inside to adjust the volume, change a pre-loaded CD or select a different source. I love it! The product is supplied with two rechargeable batteries (so you can charge one while using the other in your remote), but each battery lasts for weeks at a time, so battery changes are few and far between. Better still, by purchasing an optional multi-eye adapter, you can control multiple devices from a distance when you use a universal remote! (Purchasing additional transmitters separately will allow you to accomplish this same task using individual remotes instead.) I researched many options before deciding on this product, some costing much more, but none were as simple to use and none offered better reliability or value. It is important to note that if you desire to use this product with your mini-dish receiver, the manufacturer specifies you must purchase the 418MHz model to avoid performance issues caused by frequency conflicts... otherwise either model is a great choice.



One final note; While I have not experience a single problem with this product, and would highly recommend it to anyone wishing to increase the range of their remote control, I purchased this product direct from Amazon and their description of the item indicated "NEW" at the time I placed my order. Much to my surprise, when the item arrived, in a sealed cardboard shipping box, the blister pack inside, containing the item, had already been opened (requiring the use of scissors or a knife) and the smaller parts were floating loose inside the box. I have made purchases through Amazon in the past, and never have I encountered a situation such as this, before. Because the device has functioned without problem, I have not made an issue of the situation... still, I was (and remain) troubled by this unusual occurrence. - Ir Repeater'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information