Friday 23 September 2011

Remote Control - rc helicopter, syma


This toy is great, even for the big kids to play around with. It's a very durable and easy to use helicopter and requires no previous skills to fly. Best of all, you can charge it using your computer's USB port or the remote controller it comes with. One thing to note is that this toy is IR controlled, not radio controlled. That means that it's more line-of-sight than being able to control it from another room for example. That being said, it will not get interfered with by cordless phones or other radio emitting devices.



You can fly this little guy in a small apartment or a small room and you will have fun doing so. It's great for offices since it's not too loud and again easy to maneuver.



Hope you enjoy it! Syma S107/S107G R/C Helicopter - Yellow

I bought this remote controlled helicopter a few days ago for my son who is 6. It is a really cool toy. It is amazing to see it fly and maneuver around the house. It charges for about 40 minutes and flies for about 8 minutes on a charge. It requires skill to fly and is actually challenging, which makes it fun and interesting. My son is too young to really play with it properly so we play with it together. It is pretty sturdy, however, you will end up damaging it over time. There is only so many times that you can crash it before it gets damaged. A small piece of decorative plastic cracked from the tail section which I taped back together. I wouldn't count this against the product because I crashed it repeatedly without significantly damaging it. I will probably have to buy some spare parts in the future.

Bottom line - Great, fun, challenging little toy helicopter. Probably the coolest remote controlled toy I have ever bought.

I purchased this specific model of R/C Helicopter because of other reviews saying how good the control and good the quality of the aircraft.



Controls:

The control and handling is very good. This is my 3rd R/C helicopter and 1st dual prop helicopter. My young kids can fly it without crashing (once they get a hang of controlling prop speed and not dropping it like a brick when it gets too high). I can easily maneuver into tight spots and hover in place. Landing is easy. With single prop helicopters it's a challenge just to stay in the air and avoid walls.



Construction:

The construction is very poor. The meta parts seem fine. The plastic is not as sturdy as other brand r/c toys and a couple small crashes damaged the propellers during the first few flights. A few flights later the rear "landing" plastic was damaged. Replacement pieces are not expensive but shipping them is often more than 2x the cost of the part.



Battery Life:

The helicopter runs the 7 to 10 minutes as expected. However it requires 50 MINUTES to charge. This is very very disappointing. Other similar helicopters charge in 10 minutes.



Rating:

I gave it 3 stars because the control seems so good. Next time I'll try another brand.

I'm a 47-year-old kid who has always loved aviation and RC models. Cars, planes, everything. I currently have two other small scale rc helicopters that I have enjoyed, but they are NOTHING like the Syma S107. Not even close. The thing is, they cost A LOT more.



I see a lot of comments here about how easy this model is to break. The two channel models I have are much more likely to break because you have very little control. With the Syma S107, you have ABSOLUTE control. Have you ever seen a dragonfly in flight - stopping and turning on a dime? That's what this helicopter reminds me of.



Right out of the box it is impressive. The quality of construction is beautiful to look at. If you've ever seen one of the huge rc helicopters that the pros fly, this looks like a scaled down version, with a metal frame and boom tubes just like the big ones. Two separate motors operate the main rotors independently. When you initiate a turn, one rotor spins faster than the other to generate torque, which turns the aircraft. It's the same principle that is used to turn real twin main rotor helicopters like the CH-46 Sea Knight and the CH-47 Chinook.



The really cool part is the tail rotor. It's mounted at 90 degrees to what you're used to seeing on a helicopter. It blows air up and down, not left and right. The tail rotor is what generates forward and backward movement by raising or lowering the tail, and it is very precise and responsive.



A couple of tips if you're new to this type of toy:



1. After charging, put the helicopter on a good, clear section of floor and turn on the helicopter and remote.

2. Don't touch the right control yoke yet - you don't need it.

3. Hold the throttle yoke in your left hand and the small trim adjuster knob in the right.

4. GRADUALLY move the left yoke forward to increase throttle until the helicopter barely leaves the ground. Watch for left or right rotation and turn the trim knob to make the helicopter hover without rotating. Once it hovers without turning by using only the throttle, you're ready to fly.

5. Get used to the throttle by GRADUALLY increasing and decreasing. The biggest problem is using too much throttle and hitting the ceiling, then the helicopter falls all the way to the floor. That's how they break. If you're careful, you'll be OK.

6. ENJOY. This is the coolest toy I've had in years, and my kids like it so much, I bought another for each of them today.

The first RC helicopter i bought was an RC Apache and I was really dissapointed, it was unstable and I really never flew it.

Not this one, it flew right out of the box... It's stable, and looks great.

I bought one for my brother in law, and he loves it.

My wife says I spend more time with it than with her... It is probably true... Wait until she finds out that i just placed an order for two more... hahaha

I crashed it several times while learning and it is really durable. I did crack on stabilizer but nothing a little amount of Crazy Glue did not fix.

One more thing, I read in several blogs that you should not overcharge it and not fly it until the battery is completely empty... It will make it last longer. That's why I am buying more of them... To have more fly-time!

I am sure you will like it too. - Rc Helicopter - Remote Control Helicopter - Syma - Syma Rc Helicopter'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information