Saturday 3 September 2011

Remote Lighting Control - wireless switch, wireless light switch


I bought 4 of the Stanley 30412 Wireless Wall swiches. They are easy to install and work fine. My only problem is that if you turn on/off any one of the four switches, they ALL turn on/off at the same time. Stanley 30412 Indoor Wireless Wall Switch Transmitter Remote Control, White

This is NOT the item Amazon has pictured. Although this item looks very similar, it's not. Upon closer inspection, it seems that Amazon has a computer generated image.



My main gripe about this product is the switch itself. Due to the design, this is not a true switch - but rather a piece of plastic that pivots at a central point that presses two micro buttons on a PCB that LOOKS like a switch.



The problem with this design, is the way it's designed! If you don't press the "switch" in the right spot, the plastic doesn't contact the micro button correctly and it does not send the ON/OFF signal to the receiver. You have to press the "switch" rather hard to get it to contact the micro buttons on the PCB, and since you have to press it in the correct place (towards the middle of the "switch"); If the room is dark, good luck trying to figure out how to turn on the lights!



Another feature that I don't like about this is the light on the receiver is constantly ON. Although it's an indication of power to the receiver, I can see it being a bad thing in some situations (Red LED lighting up your room when you're trying to sleep). I'd prefer it turn on and off with the device, not be steadily lit.



I own a few Billy Mays promoted Handyswitch wireless switches and love them. I decided to try this Stanley wireless switch for some of the lights in my computer room instead of another Handyswitch because this was a cheaper option. I will not be buying one of these ever again, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. If you want a good wireless wall switch, I would recommend the Handyswitch; which I will be buying to replace this thing.



I'd give it 1 star, but since it somewhat does the job - I'll tack another one on for good measure.

Pros:

- inexpensive

- simple to install



Cons:

- almost requires line of sight

- very picky about location

- not a real switch

- only about a 12-15ft range in my experience





After seeing mostly negative reviews about every brand of wireless switches/transmitters, I decided to give this one a try because it was cheap. It works...mostly. It is very picky about location. Putting it next to as opposed to on top of molding or orienting it horizontally vs vertical makes the difference between working and not working. Basically you need line of sight which you really shouldn't need in a product like this that is not IR. I am not crazy about the button either. It is really two buttons with rocker switch as opposed to a regular light switch. The range was about 12-15 feet if you didn't have any doorways or molding in the way. It is an inexpensive fix if you a short jump you need to bridge. Otherwise don't expect too much.

The product you sent me, consists of a receiver that plugs into a recepticle to control whatever you plug into the receiver. I wanted a product where the receiver replaces a wall on/off switch. In other words I want to remotely turn my overhead garage lights on or off with a handheld remote transmitter. As I recall your website description did not make it clear.

This product did not work for me at all. Each part seemed to work: the little lights would light up at the right time. But the switch module failed to control the plug module. I took it apart, thinking there might be some sort of mismatched code, or something, inside, and fiddled with it awhile. I could sometimes get it to work when I held the transmitter right next to the plug module, but only about 10% of the time.



Worst product I've ever bought from Amazon.

I bought this product at Osh a few days ago. Hey, it Stanley, that's a reliable name. Boy was I wrong.

I need to control some lights on top of a bookcase, so after getting every thing connected, the only place the remotes would work is above the top of the bookcase, no more than three feet away.

I bought new batteries and still the same problem.

I have another remote switch (Westek® Wireless Wall Mounted Switch & Receiver (RFK100)) that's been working fine for seven years in another part of the house. I put it on the bookcase and it works fine, the remote is two rooms away, glued to the island in the kitchen.

Don't waste your money on this product, spend the extra dollars and get the Westek.

I'm of to to Osh to return these Stanley switches, then to Ace Hardware tomorrow to get more Westek switches.

I purchased this item in December 2009. It looks great. I mounted the wall switch, but the problem is that it is not responsive. I need to press the rocker switch multiple times for it to turn on/off the lamp. It is very temperamental. When I called the manufacturer The NCC (it's not Stanley since only the name is licensed) they told me to try replacing the battery. The Duracell battery I bought cost half of what I paid for the product, but even with a fresh battery, the light switch (remote) is still unresponsive. It works when it wants to. I called the 800# stamped on the unit again this week, but cannot get a person on the phone. I submitted an inquiry through [...], but I have not received a reply. This item is not worth buying.

Of course the main point is - the remote switch works perfectly for me.

Two downsides:

1) The outlet is on the receiver's side - I couldn't plug the cord from my table lamp into it and had to use an extension cord.

2) The switch is trying to follow the decora line, but frankly it's quite ugly. I would't put it on the same wall with the real decora.

This product is a great solution to an ill placed light switch. I just keep the remote switch on the bedside table and use it to control the room lights that I used to have to get out of bed to turn off. Good quality switch. - Wireless Light Switch - Light - Remote - Wireless Switch'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information