Saturday 3 September 2011

Usb Drive - hard drive case, portable hard drive


The case is well designed and made. The outer material feels durable, the inner shell soft and well padded. The overall case is well formed and seams look carefully done.



I bought this to be used with the Western Digital Passport II (black) WDXMSxxxx drives (5.1"x3.1"x0.6") and the case is a tad too big for it. The drive has a little too much wiggle room despite the elastic strap inside. I imagine the case will be better fitted for slightly bigger drives, e.g. Seagate's ST9xxxxx1U2-RK. Case Logic PHDC-1 Small EVA External Hard Drive Case (Blue)

I got this case in the blue color with a contrasting bright yellow interior. The material is all-around high-quality, and the case offers excellent protection for my external hard drive(s).



Since this is a universal drive case it cannot be a perfect fit for every portable hard drive out there. I own several different-size drives and here is how they fit:



- First generation WD Passport (silver colored, blueish rubberized bottom, Western Digital 80 GB Passport 2.5-inch External Hard Drive) fits perfectly. I suspect that this case was originally made for these drives.



- Newer WD Passport (various colors, non-rubberized bottom, WD Passport Portable WDXMSB1600 - Hard drive - 160 GB - external - 2.5" - Hi-Speed USB - 5400 rpm - buffer: 2 MB - metallic red): The case is too long and too wide, but because of the elasticized strap the drive still fits ok provided you don't stretch the strap by putting in thicker items before using it with this type of drive.



- Seagate FreeAgent Go (Seagate FreeAgent Go 160 GB USB External Hard Drive ST901603FGA1E1-RK: The drive is a tiny bit wide. On the other hand, because it is such a snug fit width-wise, the drive also doesn't slide around in the case. And the case still can be zipped shut with this drive.



If one doesn't have cables etc. to store in the accessory pocket in the other half of the case, this pocket can double as storage space for another drive, the case still zips shut, even with two of the largest of the above-mentioned drives in it.



I recommend this case to anyone looking for high-quality protection for portable hard drives and other electronics, such as PDAs or MP3 players.

I purchased this case for my Lacie Rugged Hard Drive LaCie 500 GB 7200 rpm Rugged All-Terrain FireWire 800/ FireWire 400/USB 2.0 Portable Hard Drive 301900 and it's great! It fits the drive perfectly and protects it well. I shoot video and often edit on location, so I end up dragging my drive through the worst of conditions, but it's survived like a champ and this case has definitely helped.



PS - It always makes my day to know that people find these reviews helpful. So, please vote (the "Was this review helpful to you: Yes or No" buttons) and leave a comment if you'd like, even if it's just to say, "Hi!" I respond to all comments so feel free to ask a question about the product. Also, when you leave a comment, I will go to your reviews and pay you the same courtesy.

Small External HD Case Black I bought this case to protect my Western Digital 250 GB portable USB hard drive, as I move the drive around a lot between home and work. I'm using the hard drive to back up my iTunes music collection, so I want to take care of it, hence I purchased this Case Logic case. The case is easy to use. When you open it up, you'll find two compartments (one on each side). One has an elastic strap that snuggly holds your hard drive in position. The other compartment has a mesh flap which acts like a pocket, so you can have a space to put a USB cable and maybe a flash drive or two in a pinch. As the case is small, it isn't really designed such that you can leave the hard drive in the case during operation. There isn't enough room for the connector to fit when it is placed in the drive, without the cable putting undue stress on the connector (not a good idea - duh!). In any event, the hard drive produces some heat during operation, so you probably wouldn't want to leave it in the case anyway. My only two complaints or observations are that a real hand strap could have been provided instead of the rubber thingy for carrying the drive more safely to and from a car, and that there isn't really a lot of padding in the sides of the case. I still wouldn't want to drop the hard drive while in the case onto concrete. Maybe from 3 feet onto carpet would be survivable. I guess I expected it to be lined with some styrofoam (I won't tell Al Gore) to provide more protection. Still, it does provide a nice place to keep your hard drive and cable together, without them getting all scratched up.

This is my second Case-Logic case for a portable hard drive, (original case is 1-1/2 years old and shows no wear). This PHDC-1 case fits the Seagate 1TB Go Portable drive like a glove. The sizes are misleading on the various sites. The PHDC-1 inside dims are: 3.5 wide X 5.25 long X 1.5 thick. Like another reviewed stated, it's a bit snug on the width, but no worries. - Hard Drive Case - Portable Hard Drive - External Hard Drive - Western Digital'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information